Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > banning domains or countries

banning domains or countries

hamburger

Hey there,

I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
that makes any difference.

Thanks,
~hamburger

Richard Grove - Žed Eye Media

"hamburger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4177c611$0$19059$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hey there,
>
> I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
> server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
> Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
> countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
> that makes any difference.
>
> Thanks,
> ~hamburger

..htaccess

Regards
Richard Grove
http://www.shopmaker.co.uk - Ecommerce Shop Systems

Charles Sweeney

hamburger wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
> server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
> Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
> countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
> that makes any difference.

Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.

Why would you want to ban countries?

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com

hamburger

Charles Sweeney wrote:

> hamburger wrote:
>

>>Hey there,
>>
>>I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
>>server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
>>Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
>>countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
>>that makes any difference.

> Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.
>
> Why would you want to ban countries?

These users wouldn't bother. Nor would they know how to, most likely. I
basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the site,
and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own country, I
figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the users. I
tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of my webspace,
but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my host doesn't
support it?

~hamburger

Charles Sweeney

hamburger wrote:

> Charles Sweeney wrote:
>
>> hamburger wrote:
>>

>>>Hey there,
>>>
>>>I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it.
>>>The server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like
>>>that. Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
>>>countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
>>>that makes any difference.

>> Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.
>>
>> Why would you want to ban countries?
>>

> These users wouldn't bother. Nor would they know how to, most likely.
> I basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the
> site, and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own
> country, I figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the
> users. I tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of
> my webspace, but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my
> host doesn't support it?

Although your service is not aimed at people outside your country, what's
the harm in them seeing your site? Why bother "banning" them, seems a bit
extreme to me, and much more bother than it's worth?

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com

Matt Probert

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:20:08 +1000 hamburger
<(E-Mail Removed)> broke off from drinking a cup of
tea at to write:

>I tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of my webspace,
>but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my host doesn't
>support it?

Any file with a name commencing '.' is hidden under Unix. Try

ls -a .htaccess

And you'll soon know if it's there!

Matt

--
Free searchable encyclopaedia content for your web site:
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/xsearch.htm

Toby Inkster

hamburger wrote:

> I basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the site,
> and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own country, I
> figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the users.

Why not just ban by C-class network?
e.g. if their IP is 1.2.3.4, block all of 1.2.3.x

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

brucie

In alt.www.webmaster,alt.html hamburger said:

> is there any way for me to ban certain domains or countries from
> accessing the site?

no, they could just say there were from somewhere else.

--

v o i c e s

Alfred Molon

In article <4177c611$0$19059$(E-Mail Removed)> , hamburger
says...

> I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
> server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
> Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
> countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
> that makes any difference.

Is there a speedy way for a script to automatically identify which
country an IP address is from ?
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Prague,
Budapest and Portugal

William Tasso

Charles Sweeney wrote:
> is not aimed at people outside your country, what's
> the harm in them seeing your site? Why bother "banning" them, seems a
> bit extreme to me, and much more bother than it's worth?

and really irritating if you happen to be abroad.

--
William Tasso - read 'em, else the puppy gets it:
http://www.aww-faq.org/