Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > My Bookmarks don't work

My Bookmarks don't work

Randy

My Bookmarks don't work. I'm creating an HTML document with bookmarks (or
anchors) on it. They all point to different sections of the same page. The
problem is that I cannot get them to work without removing the <BASE HREF=
tag from the head section.

I need BASE because I use a lot of graphics on the document and I would like
to keep it. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

-Randy

brucie

In alt.html Randy said:

> My Bookmarks don't work.

i know

What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

> I'm creating an HTML document with bookmarks (or anchors) on it.

anchors

> They all point to different sections of the same page. The problem is
> that I cannot get them to work without removing the <BASE HREF= tag
> from the head section.

<a name="somewhereelse">somewhere else on the page</a>

the key being 'file-name.html' which is the page with the anchor in the
href.

--

v o i c e s

Randy

Dear Brucie,

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. Yes, your suggestion works as long as
BASE HREF is the direct source for the current HTML doc. Unfortunately that
is not my case. I'm using BASE HREF to specify the location for tons of
graphics I'm using from another location.

I thought that anchors on HTML were smarter, and not based on path
re-construction from A HREF and BASE HREF. I thought that when using A
HREF=#MyAnchorChapter was just a simple instruction of "get to my anchored
chapter" within this document. But it seems that the concept of "This
document" has to do with BASE REF. That's illogical. If this is by design
and there isn't a way around it, I would propose this as a flaw in HTML
design.

-Randy

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html Randy said:
>
>> My Bookmarks don't work.

> i know
>
> What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
> http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html
>
>> I'm creating an HTML document with bookmarks (or anchors) on it.

> anchors
>
>> They all point to different sections of the same page. The problem is
>> that I cannot get them to work without removing the <BASE HREF= tag
>> from the head section.

> <a name="somewhereelse">somewhere else on the page</a>
>
> the key being 'file-name.html' which is the page with the anchor in the
> href.
>

> --
>

> v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html Randy said:

> Dear Brucie,

kissy

> Yes, your suggestion works as long as BASE HREF is the direct source
> for the current HTML doc. Unfortunately that is not my case. I'm
> using BASE HREF to specify the location for tons of graphics I'm
> using from another location.

everything in your page that uses links after you specify the <base>
href in the <head> has to link relative to that base.

you need to author your anchors accordingly. its very simple.

> I would propose this as a flaw in HTML design.

i propose theres a flaw in your head

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

--

v o i c e s

Randy

I know all that. But it's not that simple. Anchors work great without the
BASE HREF. I'm using a collaborative Web page hosting solution that enforces
the use of BASE HREF. I have no choice. And I don't think is a bad practice
at all. You might be thinking I should use the whole document pathname and
then # and the name of the anchor. But happens that my hosting solution may
display the document using two different paths. So I cannot rely on the page
path.

I do think it is a flaw, because navigation "within the same document"
should NOT rely on reconstruction of paths based on BASE HREF. Why W3C went
so crazy trying to create a simple anchor to navigate within the current
document? Maybe they just forgot that little detail.

-Randy

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:knt6mn3pcv6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html Randy said:
>
>> Dear Brucie,

> kissy
>
>> Yes, your suggestion works as long as BASE HREF is the direct source
>> for the current HTML doc. Unfortunately that is not my case. I'm
>> using BASE HREF to specify the location for tons of graphics I'm
>> using from another location.

> everything in your page that uses links after you specify the <base>
> href in the <head> has to link relative to that base.
>
> you need to author your anchors accordingly. its very simple.
>
>> I would propose this as a flaw in HTML design.

> i propose theres a flaw in your head
>
> How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>
> --
>

> v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html Randy said:

> I know all that.

but apparently not this

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

--

v o i c e s

Randy

I know and I'm sorry. I'll do it right when posting a new topic.
So, going back to the issue... do you think is possible or not?

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:zfra7cv387gk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html Randy said:
>
>> I know all that.

> but apparently not this
>
> How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>

> --
>

> v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html Randy said:

> I know and I'm sorry. I'll do it right when posting a new topic.

<bangs head on desk/>

> So, going back to the issue... do you think is possible or not?

you have said all links on a page are relative to a base href. you need
to construct your links to work relative to that base href. its simple.
there is no point complaining about it when it is behaving exactly how
you told it to.

--

v o i c e s

David Dorward

Randy wrote:

> I know and I'm sorry. I'll do it right when posting a new topic.

So you won't reply incorrectly when your post isn't a reply?

<bangs head on desk also/>

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

brucie

In alt.html David Dorward said:

> <bangs head on desk also/>

people are starting to wonder why i always have a bandaid on my
forehead.

--

v o i c e s

the little icons in the bookmarks, how do they "work" pyotr filipivich Firefox 10 05-16-2005 04:39 PM
how to use ONE bookmarks.html for ALL moz installs? Oskar Wild Firefox 1 09-19-2003 03:38 PM
Bookmarks Dave Firefox 0 08-31-2003 07:39 PM
Newbie - Bookmarks from IE favorites Ted Doubtfire Firefox 1 07-24-2003 07:46 PM
Moving bookmarks zadok Firefox 0 07-07-2003 11:56 PM

Advertisments