Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Schizophrenic Internet Explorer - Suckerfish Drop-downs

Schizophrenic Internet Explorer - Suckerfish Drop-downs

Neo Geshel

I am trying to create some suckerfish drop-down menus, and Internet
Explorer is giving me no end of grief. It works on one page, but if I
copy the page and change its file name, suckerfish suddenly doesn't work!!

I have noticed that the effect is particularly bad when the JavaScript
(that allows IE to work around its appallingly bad support of web
standards) that makes Suckerfish work for IE is in an external JS file,
but even placing it inline hasn't helped this last time.

I was wondering if anyone has a bulletproof way of working with Internet
Explorer that forces it to work with the suckerfish drop-downs.

Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html

Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

....Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

enickma

> Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
> http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html
>
> Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
> http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

Get rid of the first two lines of index.aspx and it should work. <!DOCTYPE
should always be the first line of an (x)HTML document.

Jim Higson

enickma wrote:

>> Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
>> http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html
>>
>> Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
>> http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

> Get rid of the first two lines of index.aspx and it should work. <!DOCTYPE
> should always be the first line of an (x)HTML document.

But only because IE is broken and sees an XML prolog and goes into quirks
mode.

(I don't know if the OP has prologs, just pointing out that by the spec the
DOCTYPE isnt' always the first bit)

enickma

> But only because IE is broken and sees an XML prolog and goes into quirks
> mode.

Ah okay, thanks -- didn't know that.

Neo Geshel

enickma wrote:
>>Working page, fully 100% functional menu:
>>http://publishing.kabis.net/menu.html
>>
>>Non-working page, with identical HTML & CSS (for the menu):
>>http://publishing.kabis.net/index.aspx

> Get rid of the first two lines of index.aspx and it should work. <!DOCTYPE
> should always be the first line of an (x)HTML document.

Didn't work. No change. Please view main page again, XML declaration is
now after doctype, menu still doesn't work.

....Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

enickma

> Didn't work. No change. Please view main page again, XML declaration is
> now after doctype, menu still doesn't work.

There's still a blank line before the DOCTYPE.

Neo Geshel

enickma wrote:
>>Didn't work. No change. Please view main page again, XML declaration is
>>now after doctype, menu still doesn't work.

> There's still a blank line before the DOCTYPE.

No more blank line. Still no change.