Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Accessing bookmark?

Accessing bookmark?

Robert Mark Bram

Hi All!

How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?

For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/...les.asp#blobby

"blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..

The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..

Rob

rf

Robert Mark Bram

> Hi All!

Er, G'day.

> How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?

I know nothing about asp except that is much like most other languages or
whatever that are in use. Most of them have some sort of "pull this string
apart from this character" function.

RTFM

> The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..

As per the above most "languages" have a string concatenation function.

Once again RTFM.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Bloody ****! crosposted groups snipped, not on my server. Why do I bother
with these arseholes?

SpaceGirl

Robert Mark Bram wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
>
> For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
> http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/...les.asp#blobby
>
> "blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..
>
> The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..
>
> Rob

Er... I think you misunderstand how bookmarks work. A .asp file is the
same as a .htm file as far as a browser is concerned. So, bookmarks work
exactly the same way as they do on any other HTML document.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Andrew Urquhart

*Robert Mark Bram* wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
>
> For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
> http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/...les.asp#blobby
>
> "blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..
>
> The next question would be how can I add a bookmark in ASP too..
>
> Rob

If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
anyway.
--
Andrew Urquhart
- HTML FAQ: http://www.html-faq.com/

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:51:23 +1000, Robert Mark Bram
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?
>
>For example, this page from 4GuysFromRolla:
>http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/...les.asp#blobby
>
>"blobby" doesn't pop up anywhere in Request.Variables..

That's not a bookmark, it;'s a "fragment identifer".

In your ASP, get the whole URL and then slice the string up yourself.
Use a regex to look at characters after the hash.

_IF_ the user has navigated from an internal link on the page
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/servervariables.asp
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/...les.asp#blobby

then the browser probably won't re-load the page and the server never
gets to see this request.

If they'd arrived there from the page
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/foo.htm
then the server would see the full request.

Andrew Urquhart

*Andrew Urquhart* wrote:
> If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
> client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
> 13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
> anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
> you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
> anyway.

I should qualify that I mean the URL of the requested server resource
doesn't contain the fragment identifier. The optional referrer header
doesn't have this limitation. Ignoring the aforementioned wording in the
RFC, this is at least the observed behaviour of a variety of browsers in
tandem with IIS5 and classic ASP.
--
Andrew Urquhart
- HTML FAQ: http://www.html-faq.com/
- Archive: http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.html
- Reply: http://andrewu.co.uk/contact/

relaxedrob@optushome.com.au

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply - Andy and Miranda too!

> > How do you get the bookmark on the end of a url with ASP?

> If the HTTP client submits the fragment identifier to the server, the
> client is broken - at least that's my interpretation of RFC1630, page
> 13. ASP (or any other server-side language) is unable to retrieve the
> anchor reference as it's not sent with the request to the server. Mind
> you, it is a handy way to block dumb web crawlers that try to send it
> anyway.

This answers my question. Oh well. I will find a different way.
Thank you very much!

Rob