Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > best practice for putting one picture of another

best practice for putting one picture of another

WindAndWaves

Dear All

I have another question ... I was wondering what is the best practice of
putting pictures (a JPG) over a GIF background (see
http://www.cemac.co.nz/html/project_team.html for an example).

Cheers

Nicolaas

brucie

In alt.html WindAndWaves said:

> I was wondering what is the best practice of putting pictures (a JPG)
> over a GIF background

if backgrounding one isn't suitable positioning and z-indexing are
reasonably reliable.

> http://www.cemac.co.nz/html/project_team.html for an example).

i don't see any images over any others.

--

v o i c e s

WindAndWaves

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html WindAndWaves said:
>
> > I was wondering what is the best practice of putting pictures (a JPG)
> > over a GIF background

> if backgrounding one isn't suitable positioning and z-indexing are
> reasonably reliable.
>
> > http://www.cemac.co.nz/html/project_team.html for an example).

> i don't see any images over any others.

On the page, there are a background (writing) and three images. What do you
think is more reliable (a) background or (b) positioning + Z-index?

Cheers

Nicolaas

brucie

In alt.html WindAndWaves said:

>>> http://www.cemac.co.nz/html/project_team.html for an example).

>> i don't see any images over any others.

> On the page, there are a background (writing) and three images. What do you
> think is more reliable (a) background or (b) positioning + Z-index?

none of the above. the text should be text, not an image.

--

v o i c e s

Amos E Wolfe

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l3Ycd.46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All
>
> I have another question ... I was wondering what is the best practice of
> putting pictures (a JPG) over a GIF background (see
> http://www.cemac.co.nz/html/project_team.html for an example).
>
> Cheers

If you use tables for your layout simply set one image as the table
background (e.g. a jpeg) and then set the contents of the cell as the gif
(which could have transparent parts).

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

WindAndWaves

"Amos E Wolfe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl1op5$4ls$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l3Ycd.46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear All
> >
> > I have another question ... I was wondering what is the best practice of
> > putting pictures (a JPG) over a GIF background (see
> > http://www.cemac.co.nz/html/project_team.html for an example).
> >
> > Cheers

> If you use tables for your layout simply set one image as the table
> background (e.g. a jpeg) and then set the contents of the cell as the gif
> (which could have transparent parts).
>
> -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Thank you for that idea, I might give that a go.

- Nicolaas

WindAndWaves

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:c7e59g7kds9r$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> i don't see any images over any others.

> > On the page, there are a background (writing) and three images. What do

you
> > think is more reliable (a) background or (b) positioning + Z-index?

> none of the above. the text should be text, not an image.

Hi B.

I agree with you in general, but in this case looks are more important than
speed or that sort of carry on.

What do you think?

Thank you for your comments.

brucie

In alt.html WindAndWaves said:

> What do you think?

position:relative; on the grey container <div>.
position:absolute; on the 4 pics positioned with the relevant
top/left/bottom/whatever coords.
repeat image text in alt text attribute

if no css all images are still viewable, the text one hasn't disappeared
because its a background. if no css and no images alt text is viewable.

> Thank you for your comments.

i accept cash and/or sexual favors.

--

v o i c e s

Jeffrey Silverman

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:22:00 +1300, WindAndWaves wrote:

> "brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
> news:c7e59g7kds9r$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > On the page, there are a background (writing) and three images. What do

> you
>> > think is more reliable (a) background or (b) positioning + Z-index?

>> none of the above. the text should be text, not an image.

> Hi B.
>
> I agree with you in general, but in this case looks are more important than
> speed or that sort of carry on.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thank you for your comments.

What??? I know brucie is going to say something similar, but, text should
never be an image. at least not the way you are using text!! It has
nothing to do with speed or bandwidth! Plus, since the image of text is a
background image, there is no possibility of, at the very least, an alt=""
tag to tell what the text is supposed to be.

The way you did the page is very poor web design. I don't care how nice
it looks (and it looks fine, really) -- it is missing out on many points
of being a website. Indexing by search engines, accessibility,
searchability (within the browser), and, yes, bandwidth, among others. It
might as well be a printed flyer.

Oh...my...god... I just clicked some links...

The whole SITE is done like this! AARRgh!!! <runs away screaming>

--
Jeffrey Silverman
** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

WindAndWaves

"Jeffrey Silverman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:22:00 +1300, WindAndWaves wrote:
>
> > "brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
> > news:c7e59g7kds9r$(E-Mail Removed)...

do
> > you
> >>
> >> none of the above. the text should be text, not an image.

> > Hi B.
> >
> > I agree with you in general, but in this case looks are more important

than
> > speed or that sort of carry on.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Thank you for your comments.

> What??? I know brucie is going to say something similar, but, text should
> never be an image. at least not the way you are using text!! It has
> nothing to do with speed or bandwidth! Plus, since the image of text is a
> background image, there is no possibility of, at the very least, an alt=""
> tag to tell what the text is supposed to be.
>
> The way you did the page is very poor web design. I don't care how nice
> it looks (and it looks fine, really) -- it is missing out on many points
> of being a website. Indexing by search engines, accessibility,
> searchability (within the browser), and, yes, bandwidth, among others. It
> might as well be a printed flyer.
>

> Oh...my...god... I just clicked some links...
>
> The whole SITE is done like this! AARRgh!!! <runs away screaming>
>
> --
> Jeffrey Silverman
> (E-Mail Removed)
> ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

Dear Jeffrey

I totally agree that you should use text, but you should also totally agree
that you can not achieve all the results with text (e.g. a funky font). The
client choose this approach so that is just the way it is.

Thank you for your comments.

Try something like http://www.hell.co.nz/index.jsp?city=Wellington - a very
flash and also very effective site, with very little text. (try picking up
a devil...)

Form follows function.

Cheers

Nicolaas