Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Divs overlapping?

Divs overlapping?

T.J.

I've just built my first page without using
tables.
It has 2 main Divs, a small not so important one on
the left, and the main one on the right.
As I reduce the size of the page from the sides,
the main Div slides under the minor one.
How can I make it so it slides over rather than under?
The page is at
www.sim64.co.uk/queens.html
TIA.

brucie

In alt.html T.J. said:

> I've just built my first page without using tables.

YAY!

> It has 2 main Divs, a small not so important one on the left, and the
> main one on the right.

i'm waaaay to lazy to go through your css except to note its waaaay more
complex than it needs to be. KISS

> As I reduce the size of the page from the sides, the main Div slides
> under the minor one.

not with my browser

> How can I make it so it slides over rather than under?
> The page is at www.sim64.co.uk/queens.html

basic 2 col layout. the menu is floated into the left margin of the
content <div>. easy peasy:
http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/queen.****

--

v o i c e s

T.J.

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html T.J. said:
>
>> I've just built my first page without using tables.

> YAY!
>
>> It has 2 main Divs, a small not so important one on the left, and the
>> main one on the right.

> i'm waaaay to lazy to go through your css except to note its waaaay more
> complex than it needs to be. KISS
>
>> As I reduce the size of the page from the sides, the main Div slides
>> under the minor one.

> not with my browser
>
>> How can I make it so it slides over rather than under?
>> The page is at www.sim64.co.uk/queens.html

> basic 2 col layout. the menu is floated into the left margin of the
> content <div>. easy peasy:
> http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/queen.****

Thanks Brucie, but still not the effect I am after.
That makes the content div jut keep reducing and the left menu
stay the same.
I want the content div to reduce to know smaller than the top image
and then slide over the left menu div rather than under it.

brucie

In alt.html T.J. said:

> That makes the content div jut keep reducing and the left menu
> stay the same.

and that is an issue because?

> I want the content div to reduce to know smaller than the top image

min-width:

> and then slide over the left menu div rather than under it.

stop wanting that, just use min-width.

--

v o i c e s

T.J.

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html T.J. said:
>
>> That makes the content div jut keep reducing and the left menu
>> stay the same.

> and that is an issue because?

Curiosity mainly, I'm new to all this and just want to know
how to do it, also, it makes the left menu div look more important
than the content div on a quarter screen

>> I want the content div to reduce to know smaller than the top image

> min-width:
>
>> and then slide over the left menu div rather than under it.

> stop wanting that, just use min-width.

I assume min-width creates a horizontal sroll bar once you reach the
width you have set it to? and how do you set a min-width?

> --
>

> v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html T.J. said:

> Curiosity mainly, I'm new to all this and just want to know
> how to do it, also, it makes the left menu div look more important
> than the content div on a quarter screen

you're worrying about nothing. generally you would like to avoid the
menu shrinking/expanding except for font size changes so it doesn't look
crap/becomes difficult to use or even falls apart.

> I assume min-width creates a horizontal sroll bar once you reach the
> width you have set it to?

correct. remember you only have to build into your design enough
flexibility for a reasonable range of situations. if some nut has their
browser window at 100px width thats their problem.

> and how do you set a min-width?

min-width:whatever; on the element you want to restrict.

hit refresh (requires a modern browser)
http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/queen.****

--

v o i c e s

T.J.

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html T.J. said:
>
>> Curiosity mainly, I'm new to all this and just want to know
>> how to do it, also, it makes the left menu div look more important
>> than the content div on a quarter screen

> you're worrying about nothing. generally you would like to avoid the
> menu shrinking/expanding except for font size changes so it doesn't look
> crap/becomes difficult to use or even falls apart.

Yes, I guess I'm just being to finiky, not much chance of anyone
viewing in their browser so small that it causes any problem.

>> I assume min-width creates a horizontal sroll bar once you reach the
>> width you have set it to?

> correct. remember you only have to build into your design enough
> flexibility for a reasonable range of situations. if some nut has their
> browser window at 100px width thats their problem.
>
>> and how do you set a min-width?

> min-width:whatever; on the element you want to restrict.

Works fine in Opera, but doesn't seem to work in IE6
(or is that swearing to you)

> hit refresh (requires a modern browser)
> http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/queen.****
>
> --
>

> v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html T.J. said:

>> min-width:whatever; on the element you want to restrict.

> Works fine in Opera,

of course

> but doesn't seem to work in IE6

aahhhaaa

> (or is that swearing to you)

no, its ok. i cry like this all the time.

--

v o i c e s

Nik Coughin

T.J. wrote:
> "brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
>>
>> hit refresh (requires a modern browser)
>> http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/queen.****
>>

> Works fine in Opera, but doesn't seem to work in IE6
> (or is that swearing to you)

That's what he meant by a more modern browser. IE6 is positively
antiquated.

Deryck

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:181mehxun16ve$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html T.J. said:
>
>>> min-width:whatever; on the element you want to restrict.

I dont suppose you have a fix/hack/kludge for the
IE-doesnt-support-min-width problem do you Brucie? One that doesnt involves
javascript?

Hoping,

Deryck

swapping divs -- when divs NOT positioned absolutely.. maya Javascript 4 11-16-2007 05:11 PM
Managing divs within divs.... rich HTML 0 02-02-2006 07:38 PM
Nested DIVs - is there a better way? Guadala Harry ASP .Net 2 10-26-2004 07:30 PM
asp.net and divs mikieg_99 ASP .Net 6 07-30-2004 01:19 PM
Re: DIVs and overflow scroll bars S. Justin Gengo ASP .Net 0 07-18-2003 02:18 PM

Advertisments