Specify Character Encoding On CD?

(Pete Cresswell)

What I've read so far indicates that there are two ways to avoid Validator.w3's
"No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8." message:

1) Tell the server to send down a header of "Content-Type: text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1"

2) Place this tag in <header>:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

#2 won't pass "Strict" validation...in fact I can't even get it past
Transitional... I guess that leaves #1.

The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as a
"Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will read it by
inserting the CD into their local drive.

Obviously this isn't a religious issue, but it would be nice if I could get a
page past Validator with zero errors.

Can anybody explain?
--
PeteCresswell

brucie

In alt.html (Pete Cresswell) said:

> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
> #2 won't pass "Strict" validation...

yes it does

> in fact I can't even get it past Transitional...

you've got a mistake somewhere.

> The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as a
> "Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will read it by
> inserting the CD into their local drive.

you could run a server off the CD but that would be overkill for static
pages.

> Obviously this isn't a religious issue,

BLASPHEMER!

--

v o i c e s

Neal

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:38:34 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The zinger is that this web page is not coming from what I'd think of as
> "Server". Instead, it's going TB burned on to a CD and the user will
> read it by
> inserting the CD into their local drive.

Then use the http-equiv meta element. Preferably, a document is retrieved
from a server with HTTP headers, since that's impossible in this
application the meta element can take the place of the header.

Be sure to choose a charset - which, BTW, is NOT a "character set" as
you'd think, but a "character encoding" - which is appropriate for your
content. ISO-8859-1 is probably OK. UTF-8 is good too in most cases.

Where was that page which went into choosing the right charset? Can't seem
to locate it, anyone?

Jukka K. Korpela

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
> charset=ISO-8859-1">
>
> #2 won't pass "Strict" validation...in fact I can't even get it past
> Transitional...

My crystal ball says that you are using an XHTML DOCTYPE, yet using
classic HTML syntax for the meta tag.

I could give a series of lectures on this, but you wouldn't pay for it,
so here's just the simple answer: don't use XHTML. But if you already
made the mistake of using XHTML, put the fancy " /" right before the ">"
for this empty element tag, too.

Of course, you _could_ have just misplaced the tag. It belongs into your
head element.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/

The one I'm looking at is http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>you've got a mistake somewhere.

Bingo!

Works a-ok. I changed to all lowercase and swapped out the ISO... for utf...

Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell

Neal

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:16:52 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> RE/
>> Where was that page which went into choosing the right charset? Can't
>> seem
>> to locate it, anyone?

> The one I'm looking at is
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html

Alan Flavell wrote a great page, I can't locate it. It goes into who needs
what encoding. Man, where is it??

brucie

In alt.html Neal said:

> Alan Flavell wrote a great page, I can't locate it. It goes into who needs
> what encoding. Man, where is it??

one of these?
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/

--

v o i c e s

Neal

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:19:42 +1000, brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:

> In alt.html Neal said:
>
>> Alan Flavell wrote a great page, I can't locate it. It goes into who
>> needs
>> what encoding. Man, where is it??

> one of these?
> http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/

http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/checklist

brucie, you get a big, wet kiss on the lips.

From rf.

brucie

In alt.html Neal said:

> brucie, you get a big, wet kiss on the lips.

YAY!

> From rf.

his wife will really go off if she catches us again

--

v o i c e s