Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to emulate other browsers?

How to emulate other browsers?

Brett

Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
browsers?

Thanks,
Brett

Els

Safari: http://danvine.com/icapture/
Other browsers: http://browsercam.com/

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

brucie

In alt.html Brett said:

> Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
> browsers?

any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
totally false and misleading.

--

v o i c e s

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
> browsers?

Safari:
http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

Be noted that they way a site looks in a browser does not mean it
behaves well. You cannot test any user interaction, like scaling
windows, use forms, scroll, click links, etcetera.

Get yourself a second-hand Mac for permanent testing. You may even like
it so much you'll switch over and keep the Wintel machine around for
testing purposes only.

Another option is to ask for a review in dedicated usenet and/or IRC
groups.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

SpaceGirl

brucie wrote:

> In alt.html Brett said:
>

>>Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
>>browsers?

> any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
> appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
> totally false and misleading.

Just like the statement above?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

SpaceGirl
> brucie wrote:
>
> > In alt.html Brett said:
> >
> >>Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and

other
> >>browsers?

> > any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
> > appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
> > totally false and misleading.

> Just like the statement above?

No, not at all.

The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine if
their site "works" in a particular browser.

How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular browser?
To do so it would have to *be* that browser.

If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to go
round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.

brucie is, in this case, completely correct.

--
Cheers
Richard.

SpaceGirl

rf wrote:

> SpaceGirl
>
>>brucie wrote:

> other

>>>any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
>>>appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
>>>totally false and misleading.

>>Just like the statement above?

> No, not at all.
>
> The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine if
> their site "works" in a particular browser.
>
> How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular browser?
> To do so it would have to *be* that browser.
>
> If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to go
> round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.
>
> brucie is, in this case, completely correct.

Yeah... Opera pretends to be IE, and IE pretends to be a browser

Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results. Not
emulating, but the real thing. While a screenshot doesn't tell you if
your site will work, it will give you some indication whether it'll
render okay or not.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Brett

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> rf wrote:
>
>> SpaceGirl

>> other

>>>Just like the statement above?

>> No, not at all.
>>
>> The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine
>> if
>> their site "works" in a particular browser.
>>
>> How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular
>> browser?
>> To do so it would have to *be* that browser.
>>
>> If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to
>> go
>> round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.
>>
>> brucie is, in this case, completely correct.
>>

> Yeah... Opera pretends to be IE, and IE pretends to be a browser
>
> Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
> requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results. Not
> emulating, but the real thing. While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your
> site will work, it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay
> or not.

Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a screenshot
automatically and displays it in the browser? Not specifically for a
browser shot but say if I want to send an email into Outlook and take a
screenshot of it, then display that online all automatically.

Thanks,
Brett

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

> Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
> requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results.

now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
send you screencaps.

"ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"

> Not emulating, but the real thing.

i haven't found one yet that produces a screencap anything like my
browsers. even poor little plain text lynx doesn't look anything like my
version.

> While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your site will work,

if someone posted a screencap of their site and asked for people to test
if the site worked ok they would be laughed out of dodge after a good
tar and feathering.

but people are willing to accept a screencap if its their own site. odd
that.

> it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay or not.

in one browser not used by a human. great.

--

v o i c e s

brucie

In alt.html Brett said:

> Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a screenshot
> automatically and displays it in the browser?

theres not much technology to it at all.

brucies basic automatic screen capture and upload for the budget conscience.

ingredients:

1 x print screen key
1 x image optimizer
1 x ftp program
1 x keystroke recorder/playback or macro editor.

method:

record with macro editor or keystroke recorder the keystrokes necessary
to:

1. cap the screen or window you want uploaded.
2. start image optimizer
3. paste image into image optimizer and optimize to a predetermined setting for what you're capping
4. save image into a directory
5. start ftp program
6. ftp program uploads image in the directory up to the server.

repeat as desired.

on the server send the image with cache settings for however long the
image is good for.

i use thousand of macros on my computer (using http://macroexpress.com/
) and setting up the above would be very simple, now that i have
weeeeee! i may even do it just for fun.

--

v o i c e s

emulate dial-up connections. mpriem MCSE 6 01-07-2006 07:59 AM
Can ASP.NET emulate a Telnet host? Forty Two ASP .Net 2 12-25-2004 01:24 AM
How to emulate Word mail merge in HTML? VB Programmer ASP .Net 2 05-20-2004 04:32 PM
Emulate PIX Firewall shaulbe Cisco 19 04-15-2004 06:54 PM
Re: emulate Win. app lookup in ASP.NET Alvin Bruney [MVP] ASP .Net 5 02-16-2004 10:11 PM

Advertisments