Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > content crossing frames

content crossing frames

Jeff Thies

I may use a frameset (complex html from more than one domain).

Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
boundaries between two frames? Can a form element?

I'm thinking no, but I've been wrong before.

And, of course, I don't like frames.

Jeff

brucie

In alt.html Jeff Thies said:

> I may use a frameset

you're a bad man!

> (complex html from more than one domain).

suck it in with a script, extract what you want, assemble it, send it to
visitor on a single page.

(assuming you have permission if the stuff you're sucking in isn't
yours.)

> Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation)

using optional goodies such as JS for critical site functions such as
navigation is stupid.

> cross the boundaries between two frames?

no but you can [badly] fake it.

> Can a form element?

no

> I'm thinking no,

you're thinking right

> but I've been wrong before.

not this time. if you ask nicely rf will give you a silver star you can
stick on your forehead. it could have been gold if it wasn't for the "i
may use a frameset".

> And, of course, I don't like frames.

its too late now, you cant take it back, the damage is done.

--

v o i c e s

David Dorward

Jeff Thies wrote:

> I may use a frameset

Oh dear.

> (complex html from more than one domain).

If you start framing content published by third parties then you risk
opening yourself up to a world of legal hurt. Tread carefully.

> Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
> boundaries between two frames?

No.

> Can a form element?

I think (i.e. I'm not sure) that, in some browsers at least, a <select>
element can - but only when the user opens it up.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

SpaceGirl

David Dorward wrote:

> Jeff Thies wrote:
>

>> I may use a frameset

> Oh dear.
>

>> (complex html from more than one domain).

> If you start framing content published by third parties then you risk
> opening yourself up to a world of legal hurt. Tread carefully.
>

>>Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
>>boundaries between two frames?

> No.

Actually you CAN, but only for iframes. Regular frames you cant. If you
stick an iframe in a layer (a <div> with a z-index) you can then place
other layers over the top of it that intersect the boundaries just fine.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Kris

In article <jD3cd.6035$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
Jeff Thies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
> boundaries between two frames?

No.

> Can a form element?

No.

Bury a deep hole in your garden to dump the frames in, use a server side
inclusion solution and CSS for client side appearance. Now you can.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Jeff Thies

brucie wrote:
> In alt.html Jeff Thies said:
>

>> I may use a frameset

> you're a bad man!

Badder than you know!

>>(complex html from more than one domain).

> suck it in with a script, extract what you want, assemble it, send it to
> visitor on a single page.
>
> (assuming you have permission if the stuff you're sucking in isn't
> yours.)

The site is part ASP and on a seperate server. Currently the site is
being done in a framed manner.

The server side processing will be a bit complex because the proprietary
ASP part will have relative paths to a different domain that I will have
to translate on the fly. That can't be much fun.

Ever get sucked into something you've tried hard not to do? Or have you
always been on the other end?

Jeff

aa

Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
> boundaries between two frames?

Yes. See http://dhtml-menu.com/index.html#cross

rf

aa wrote:

> Jeff wrote:

> Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
> > boundaries between two frames?

> Yes.

Wrong.

A div (as in javascript navigation or not) is simply an arbitrary
rectangular region on the layed out page. Some or all of the contents of
this region is rendered by the browser in its client window, the viewport.
The operative point here is "in its client area". The browser (and indeed
any well behaved windows program) can *not* draw outside its client area.
Windows (and the other GUIs) does not allow this.

Now, a frameset is not a single client window. A frameset is many client
windows, one for each frame. Each frame displays a different HTML page.

Since each frame is a separate window, with its own border etc, it should be
evident that a div can not be drawn over two different frames. This would,
in effect, be drawing parts of the div in two separate windows and, indeed,
over the non-client area (the border) of those windows. This is not
something a browser will do.

Looking at it another way, since each frame is displaying a different HTML
page where does that div live? Which page? It only lives within one page,
the one it is drawn in. It can not be partially drawn in a totally different
HTML page now, can it.

> See http://dhtml-menu.com/index.html#cross

Please provide an example of one of these things crossing a frame boundary.

If you can then I will delve into it a little further and show that it is
not a simple div but rather some other sort of construct, like a floating
window, perhaps a dialog.

Once again, for the newbies: the GUI does not allow one to draw across
window boundaries. This of course includes frame boundaries in a browser.

--
Cheers
Richard.

RobM

"aa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41743b3b$0$47982$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a positioned div (as in a javascript navigation) cross the
> > boundaries between two frames?

> Yes. See http://dhtml-menu.com/index.html#cross

Hi - but... seems this doesn't "cross the boundaries" but displays the
dropdown portion in the other frame (from the link above). Looks awful, I'd
hate to have that on one of my webapps. Nice explanation about the GUI, rf.
Imagine if you were writing VB (or Powerbuilder etc), you wouldn't have text
appearing across two open sheets on a MDI would you!?

Cheers
Rob

aa

"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
news:0EYcd.30994$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wrong.
> A div (as in javascript navigation or not) is simply an arbitrary...

I knew you would not be able to resist byting this bait and indulge into a
long lecture, rffy

Of course div can't cross frames.
If you want to "delve into it a little further" - you know where to find the
source.
However without dwelving I can tell you that the <div> does not cross
anything.
That bit which is supposed to go into another frame is just built in that
other frame.

But the OP wanted a solution - a menu, protruding into another frame - and
this is an indication that it is acheivable, though not very easily.