Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Side bar one pixel out

Side bar one pixel out

Alex Dutton

Hi

Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side and
you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look and
pass on any comments.

Thanks
Alex

Karl Core

"Alex Dutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mxUbd.163$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side
> and
> you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
> code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look
> and
> pass on any comments.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Do it over.
This time without abusing tables, ridiculous spacer images, and deprecated
markup.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ically%29&ss=1

-Karl

Aceicol

Urmmm Not really what I asked but I am always willing for advice.

How do I go about setting leftmargin and topmargin to Zero though if they
aren't valid attributes. Also the fact that it doesn't recognise the Link
element, how else would I go about linking my stylesheet.

I read a HTML book and it suggested that the way to design a page was with a
table, I didn't think that I had done anything out of the ordinary as far as
tables are concerned.

Thanks
Alex
"Karl Core" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckp5f3$2th$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alex Dutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mxUbd.163$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side
> > and
> > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at

the
> > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look
> > and
> > pass on any comments.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alex

> Do it over.
> This time without abusing tables, ridiculous spacer images, and deprecated
> markup.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...om%2F&charset=
%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+autom atically%29&ss=1

> -Karl

Karl Core

"Aceicol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eGVbd.231$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Karl Core" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ckp5f3$2th$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Alex Dutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:mxUbd.163$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side
>> > and
>> > you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at

> the
>> > code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please
>> > look
>> > and
>> > pass on any comments.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Alex

>> Do it over.
>> This time without abusing tables, ridiculous spacer images, and
>> deprecated
>> markup.
>>

> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...om%2F&charset=
> %28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+autom atically%29&ss=1
>>
>> -Karl
>>

> Urmmm Not really what I asked but I am always willing for advice.
>
> How do I go about setting leftmargin and topmargin to Zero though if they
> aren't valid attributes. Also the fact that it doesn't recognise the Link
> element, how else would I go about linking my stylesheet.
>
> I read a HTML book and it suggested that the way to design a page was with
> table, I didn't think that I had done anything out of the ordinary as far
> as
> tables are concerned.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

First, please do not top-post.
Second, please visit the FAQ - http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php and
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl
Third, do not read books that recommend using tables for anything other than
tabular data. Tables are intended to hold items which are data, such as
addresses, etc. They are not intended to be used to position elements of
content.
Since it appears that you are new, you're exempted from ridicule on this
one, but it would also be a good opportunity to learn the right way. CSS is
what you should be using to dictate presentation. HTML is intended to define
the content.

These oughta get you started.

http://www.w3schools.com/css
http://glish.com/css/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tut...son/boxes.html

-Karl

brucie

In alt.html Alex Dutton said:

> Please look at http://www.easy-putt.com

if i didn't have weeeeeeee! i would have said "got sick of waiting for
it to download and left".

--

v o i c e s

rf

Alex Dutton

> Hi
>
> Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side

and
> you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
> code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look

and
> pass on any comments.

It's the peekaboo bug. Google for it.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Lois

"Aceicol" asked:
: How do I go about setting leftmargin and topmargin to Zero though if they
: aren't valid attributes.

With CSS:

body {margin: 0px;}

Lois

WebcastMaker

In article <mxUbd.163$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Please look at www.easy-putt.com and have a look at the right hand side and
> you will see that the side bar is not aligned, I have been looking at the
> code for ages now and can't seem to work it out, can someone please look and
> pass on any comments.

If your dead set on that design, it could easily be done with divs. 3
divs, each with a background image. The middle divs background should
have no corners so it repeats. This is where your text goes. The best
advice for you would be to spend about an hour reading at
www.w3schools.com.
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Toby Inkster

Lois wrote:

> body {margin: 0px;}

Don't forget padding:0!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./ryan_adams/rock_n_roll/10_rock_n_roll.ogg

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Toby Inkster ((E-Mail Removed))
feverishly typed...

> Don't forget padding:0!

Aahh yes... who could forget "padding:0"?? ...... Good old
"padding:0"........

Cheers,
Nige

--