Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > moving pages and site structure

moving pages and site structure

Jeff Thies

I'm making sites that have the page paths follow their navigation
structure, so a page that falls here in the navigation:

Section 2
Subsection 3
Page 1

would have this url:

/section_2/subsection_3/page_1.html

That seems logical to me.

So the questions is what happens if the site structure gets changed and
Page 1 gets moved to Section 3?

I used to leave the page path the sames but lately I've been changing
the page path to reflect the hierarchy:

/section_3/page_1.html

That seems more logical but presents the problem of bookmarked pages.

Rearranging sites is common, how do you handle this? (this is all CMS of
of my design)

Jeff

Mark Parnell

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:36:26 GMT, Jeff Thies <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> So the questions is what happens if the site structure gets changed and
> Page 1 gets moved to Section 3?

Make sure the server sends the appropriate HTTP status code when the old
page is requested. In this case I would think 301 - Moved Permanently
would be appropriate.

In an ideal world, the browser would automatically update its bookmarks
when it received a 301 to reflect the change, but no browser actually
does that AFAIK.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Leif K-Brooks

Jeff Thies wrote:
> I used to leave the page path the sames but lately I've been changing
> the page path to reflect the hierarchy:
>
> /section_3/page_1.html
>
> That seems more logical but presents the problem of bookmarked pages.

Use a server-side redirect from the old location to the new one.
http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...tml?tw=backend