Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Use of <h1> tag more than once?

Reply
Thread Tools

Use of <h1> tag more than once?

 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
Hello Everyone,

I am making use of two <h1> tags. One is for a banner at the top of the page
and the other is for the topic title in the text part of the page. Both uses
are for primary keywords. You can see this use at www.usernomics.com .

How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
in terms of SERPS?

Thanks a lot,

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
In alt.html Bob said:

> Hello Everyone,


kissy

> I am making use of two <h1> tags.


two headings of equal weight, fair enough although some argue that a
document should only have one <h1>

> How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
> in terms of SERPS?


this is where we have a clash of ideologies. i design sites for the
visitor, i don't give a **** what a computer program may or may not
think of the site.

i'm sure i've just upset a lot of computer programs but when they have
money to spend i'll start designing sites for them as well. until that
happens i'll just worry about keeping humans happy.

--


v o i c e s
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html Bob said:
>
> > Hello Everyone,

>
> kissy
>
> > I am making use of two <h1> tags.

>
> two headings of equal weight, fair enough although some argue that a
> document should only have one <h1>
>
> > How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the

<h1>'s
> > in terms of SERPS?

>
> this is where we have a clash of ideologies. i design sites for the
> visitor, i don't give a **** what a computer program may or may not
> think of the site.
>
> i'm sure i've just upset a lot of computer programs but when they have
> money to spend i'll start designing sites for them as well. until that
> happens i'll just worry about keeping humans happy.
>
> --
>
>
> v o i c e s


Hi Bruce,

I agree with designing for humans as the number one priority. The pages were
designed with that in mind.

My second priority is position in the search engines for a few keywords.

After developing a new CSS, I had a choice of tagging two exixting lines
with keywords already there. I could make it <h1> and <h2> as it was before
or I could make them both <h1>'s using a different class in the stylesheet.

So my current question is if it is beneficial for the search engines to use
two <h1> tags for those existing key phrases?

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
In alt.html Bob said:

> So my current question is if it is beneficial for the search engines to use
> two <h1> tags for those existing key phrases?


this is a question for alt.internet.search-engines i don't know why bill
sent you over here.

personally i have never come across a situation where my document needed
to be marked up with two <h1>s and it makes me feel a bit icky just
thinking about it. its an unnatural act and god will smite me down.

i have no idea what a search engine would think about two <h1>s and as
indicated in my previous post i don't care.

if you want my guess i would score two <h1>s as suspicious.

--


v o i c e s
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:1c7wwddah8ubm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html Bob said:
>
> > So my current question is if it is beneficial for the search engines to

use
> > two <h1> tags for those existing key phrases?

>
> this is a question for alt.internet.search-engines i don't know why bill
> sent you over here.
>
> personally i have never come across a situation where my document needed
> to be marked up with two <h1>s and it makes me feel a bit icky just
> thinking about it. its an unnatural act and god will smite me down.
>
> i have no idea what a search engine would think about two <h1>s and as
> indicated in my previous post i don't care.
>
> if you want my guess i would score two <h1>s as suspicious.
>
> --
>
>
> v o i c e s


Thanks Bruce. I did ask the question at the search engine group. Someone
told me to ask it here and "put on my flack jacket." Guess I will change it
back to <h2>. Nobody seems to know the answer. I thought I might be able to
get an extra hit with it appearing twice.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
In alt.html Bob said:

> Thanks Bruce.


aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!every $&%ing time!
http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/brucie-birth.jpg [14k]

> Someone told me to ask it here and "put on my flack jacket.


thats bill, hes a sensitive little fellow, easily startled.

> Guess I will change it back to <h2>.


why don't you just see what happens?

--


v o i c e s
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shailesh Humbad
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
Bob wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am making use of two <h1> tags. One is for a banner at the top of the page
> and the other is for the topic title in the text part of the page. Both uses
> are for primary keywords. You can see this use at www.usernomics.com .
>
> How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
> in terms of SERPS?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Bob
>
>


For an advanced search engine, the name of tag will not matter, but
only relative appearance of its content in the page. After all, you
can easily write things like <h1
style="color:white;background-color:white">. The second H1, since it
is the largest text (and has highest contrast) in the page, will
automatically get the higher precedence. What are SERPS?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:15:38 GMT, Shailesh Humbad <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> For an advanced search engine, the name of tag will not matter, but
> only relative appearance of its content in the page. After all, you
> can easily write things like <h1
> style="color:white;background-color:white">. The second H1, since it
> is the largest text (and has highest contrast) in the page, will
> automatically get the higher precedence.


Do you have any data to back this up?

> What are SERPS?


Search Engine Results Pages. The fact that you need to ask doesn't lend
much credibility to the first part of your post.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
"Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5jv6j9bl1ct0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:15:38 GMT, Shailesh Humbad <(E-Mail Removed)>
> declared in alt.html:
>
> > For an advanced search engine, the name of tag will not matter, but
> > only relative appearance of its content in the page. After all, you
> > can easily write things like <h1
> > style="color:white;background-color:white">. The second H1, since it
> > is the largest text (and has highest contrast) in the page, will
> > automatically get the higher precedence.

>
> Do you have any data to back this up?
>
> > What are SERPS?

>
> Search Engine Results Pages. The fact that you need to ask doesn't lend
> much credibility to the first part of your post.
>
> --
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
> "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004


Yes, that's what I meant by SERPS.

I have one use in a banner containing keywords defined as div
id="banner1"><h1>keywords</h1>.

But later in the text I have <h1 class = "head">keywords</h1>.

So the question is if the search engines will like this or not? I think I
may be pushing it a bit and should make the second one <h2>. The way I
defined them in CSS makes the size and other attributes the way I want them.

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:3m64q7l3xvnj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.html Bob said:
>
> > Thanks Bruce.

>
> aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!every $&%ing time!
> http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/brucie-birth.jpg [14k]
>
> > Someone told me to ask it here and "put on my flack jacket.

>
> thats bill, hes a sensitive little fellow, easily startled.
>
> > Guess I will change it back to <h2>.

>
> why don't you just see what happens?
>
> --
>
>
> v o i c e s


I am afraid to take a chance because I am already doing well with the search
engines. I am just trying to do even better. So I don't want to mess up my
rankings.

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember andremember more than I have seen. shenrilaa@gmail.com Java 0 03-06-2008 08:11 AM
Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember andremember more than I have seen. shenrilaa@gmail.com C++ 0 03-05-2008 08:41 AM
Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember andremember more than I have seen. shenrilaa@gmail.com C Programming 0 03-05-2008 03:26 AM
how do u invoke Tag b's Tag Handler from within Tag a's tag Handler? shruds Java 1 01-27-2006 03:00 AM
JSF: is it more than a JSP tag library? Josef Templ Java 4 04-15-2005 04:25 PM



Advertisments