Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS min-width property in IE?

CSS min-width property in IE?

Deryck

Hi,

Is there a work-around to the min-width bug in IE? I'm looking for a
solution that
1, doesnt use javascript
and
2,doesnt fix the width in IE to whatever I want min-width to be

TIA

Deryck

C A Upsdell

"Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is there a work-around to the min-width bug in IE? I'm looking for a
> solution that
> 1, doesnt use javascript
> and
> 2,doesnt fix the width in IE to whatever I want min-width to be

Well, you could always put in a 1px high transparent .gif or .png with the
min-width that you want. Ugly, but it works.

Deryck

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, you could always put in a 1px high transparent .gif or .png with the
> min-width that you want. Ugly, but it works.

Yeah, thanks. I might have to resort to that.

I found this solution:
http://www.antix.co.uk/code/css/impo...th/default.htm and while
the author's example does work I cannot get it to work at the resolution
that I'd like it to. Does anyone understand this solution? I have never seen
it mentioned anywhere else.

Deryck

C A Upsdell

"Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, you could always put in a 1px high transparent .gif or .png with
>> the min-width that you want. Ugly, but it works.
>>

> Yeah, thanks. I might have to resort to that.
>
> I found this solution:
> http://www.antix.co.uk/code/css/impo...th/default.htm and
> while the author's example does work I cannot get it to work at the
> resolution that I'd like it to. Does anyone understand this solution? I
> have never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Do you mean the line:

width:expression(document.body.clientWidth < 550 ? "450px" : "100%" );

I've never seen that before, but then I avoid IE-specific features.

By analogy with other programming languages, I assume that it would set the
width to 450px if the browser window's width is < 550 (pixels, I assume),
but to set the width to 100% if the window's width is >= 550. Which is not
how min-width works.

Deryck

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I found this solution:
>> http://www.antix.co.uk/code/css/impo...th/default.htm and
>> while the author's example does work I cannot get it to work at the
>> resolution that I'd like it to. Does anyone understand this solution? I
>> have never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

> Do you mean the line:
>
> width:expression(document.body.clientWidth < 550 ? "450px" : "100%" );

I didnt see any other in the example

> I've never seen that before, but then I avoid IE-specific features.

Me too. Shame we cant avoid the whole UA!

> By analogy with other programming languages, I assume that it would set
> the width to 450px if the browser window's width is < 550 (pixels, I
> assume), but to set the width to 100% if the window's width is >= 550.
> Which is not how min-width works.

Yes, I guessed it must be something like that. I was just curious why the
author chose 550. Is it just the desired min width +100 because 100 is a
neat number or something else? How does that scale up or down if I want
min-width to be 800 or 50? Who knows, the author I guess.

Thanks for looking at the link.

Deryck