Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How do they do it? Professional looking sites...

How do they do it? Professional looking sites...

Scott Dunaway

How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
take some sites like this

http://www.papadocs.com/

or

http://www.amelabs.com/

that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
come close to comparing to sites like these

http://www.cingular.com/

and

http://www.voxunity.com/

The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?

Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.

I recently signed up with a new host and got access to alot of
templates, for free. I can use the buttons and such from those
templates to get what I'm wanting for my personal site, but that's not
what I want to do. I really want to be able to sit down and design my
site from scratch. Using nothing but my imagination and my computer. I
want to do polished, 3D buttons and multi-image overlay image maps. To
me, such sites are not just professional, but works of Art. Thank you
all for your time. And for those of you that try, thank you for your
help and consideration.

Scott D.

Augustus

"Scott Dunaway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
> buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
> others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
> Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?

You can do all that in photoshop... what program the designer specifically
uses is up to their personal preferences and experience.

> Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
> about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.

Google for "photoshop tutorials" (or whichever graphic program you want to
use)

> I recently signed up with a new host and got access to alot of
> templates, for free. I can use the buttons and such from those
> templates to get what I'm wanting for my personal site, but that's not
> what I want to do. I really want to be able to sit down and design my
> site from scratch. Using nothing but my imagination and my computer. I
> want to do polished, 3D buttons and multi-image overlay image maps. To
> me, such sites are not just professional, but works of Art. Thank you
> all for your time. And for those of you that try, thank you for your
> help and consideration.

There is alot to these programs... if you really want to get into it you
might look at investing in a 2-4 week course on one of these programs

A big factor is also if you have the flair and patience for it... doing a
high end "artistic" site isn't going to be something you can sit down and
whip up in an hour or two of work, you can expect to put in days and
possibly a week or two or more into a design (this is where alot of people
break down... when doing HTML or programming you can accomplish alot in 4 or
5 hours worth of solid work... with graphic design 4 or 5 hours worth of
solid work and you probably still only have a very basic outline)

I'm not saying don't give it a try... you never know, you might have a great
undiscovered talent for it. You just want to watch out that you don't end
up spending alot of time on this where you could best be looking for work or
working on paying jobs.

Personally, graphic design is not my thing and so I either hire graphic
design students at one of the local schools (they make a few bucks and it
helps him/her build their portfolio) or hire a freelancer in Mexico (cheap
and fast)

Eric Biller

Scott Dunaway wrote:

> The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
> buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
> others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
> Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?

If you are developing with a Windows-based box Macromedia Fireworks is a
really tough app to make those buttons. In addition with Photoshop you have
a quite good basis for building grfx for the web. Concerning 3D-Texts with
textures and anims take a look at Ulead Cool3D and for mapping your own
textures on a 3D-Text an easy way is using Xara3D. This is my set of apps I
am using.

> Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
> about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.

Try googling. There are a lot of resources concerning grfx.

A lot of tutorials can be found at:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/softwaretutorials/

greets
Eric

Henry

Scott Dunaway wrote:
> How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
> take some sites like this
>
> http://www.papadocs.com/
>
> or
>
> http://www.amelabs.com/
>
> that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
> come close to comparing to sites like these

Nah...

Take a look at this sites...

http://www.ozones.com/

http://www.ozoniclabs.com/

http://www.ozones.com/imagesindex.html

and check these ones...

http://www.game-deception.com/index.php

http://www.ravernews.com/

http://www.mtechmedia.net/whoiscart/index.php

WebcastMaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> How do they get these sites to looking so polished?

It is the graphic artist. He/she is the person that turns a plain site
into a polished one.

It is being able to afford the professional studio where the images were
all professionally taken are the exact image you want, rather than using
some stock image that comes close.

Of course there are also many different meanings of polished. I agree,
with your definition of polished, others won't.

--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Hywel

In article <4167b6b9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Henry says...
> Scott Dunaway wrote:
> > How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
> > take some sites like this
> >
> > http://www.papadocs.com/
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://www.amelabs.com/
> >
> > that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
> > come close to comparing to sites like these
> >

> Nah...
>

> http://www.ravernews.com/

Hmm. This one is utter rubbish.

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

Jeffrey Silverman

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:00:25 +0800, Henry wrote:

> Take a look at this sites...
>

> http://www.ozones.com/
>
> http://www.ozoniclabs.com/
>
> http://www.ozones.com/imagesindex.html

Doc Ozone has been doing *amazing* stuff with PhotoShop and Javascript for
years. I learned a lot of techniques from him. Definitely recommend these
sites!

--
Jeffrey Silverman
(E-Mail Removed)

Roy Schestowitz

Scott Dunaway wrote:

> How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
> take some sites like this
>
> http://www.papadocs.com/
>
> or
>
> http://www.amelabs.com/
>
> that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
> come close to comparing to sites like these
>
> http://www.cingular.com/
>
> and
>
> http://www.voxunity.com/
>
> The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
> buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
> others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
> Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?
>
> Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
> about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.
>
> I recently signed up with a new host and got access to alot of
> templates, for free. I can use the buttons and such from those
> templates to get what I'm wanting for my personal site, but that's not
> what I want to do. I really want to be able to sit down and design my
> site from scratch. Using nothing but my imagination and my computer. I
> want to do polished, 3D buttons and multi-image overlay image maps. To
> me, such sites are not just professional, but works of Art. Thank you
> all for your time. And for those of you that try, thank you for your
> help and consideration.

Hi Scott,

Use The GIMP. It is an excellent free application that is not available for
Window$ too. I used JASC Paintshop and GIMP to do all the graphics in my
site and I prefer the latter, still.

Having said that, one must have experience too. With GIMP you get some
scripts that do all the hard decisions for you. You give it only an input
text and it will return a wonderful shiny button or a banner. Try it!

Also see banners that can be generated in a matter of seconds:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Script_Fu/

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Toby Inkster

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Use The GIMP. It is an excellent free application that is not available for
> Window$ too.

s/not/now/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Noozer

"Jeffrey Silverman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:00:25 +0800, Henry wrote:
>
> > Take a look at this sites...
> >

> > http://www.ozones.com/
> >
> > http://www.ozoniclabs.com/
> >
> > http://www.ozones.com/imagesindex.html

> Doc Ozone has been doing *amazing* stuff with PhotoShop and Javascript for
> years. I learned a lot of techniques from him. Definitely recommend these
> sites!

Sites that are built for a single resolution and waste the rest of the page?
Don't work properly in Firefox? That's good???