Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > drop down menu

drop down menu

WebcastMaker

In article <H9E9d.18619$(E-Mail Removed)>, rf@.invalid
says...
> DHTML is simply a word made up by microsoft. It means nothing.

Not commenting on the usefulness or lack of usefulness of DHTML, but,
every word was originally made up by someone. The fact that Microsoft
made it up is irrelevant. DHTML is exactly as stated, a combination of
HTML, CSS and Javascript used to manipulate a web page.

--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

aa

Dear rf,
trying to take revenge for your humiliation in "changes in HTML code are ignored by the browser (IE6)",
you exposed you naked bottom so invitingly, that one cannot pass by without giving it a good kick.

1.> >2. It is very complicated to make a DHTML menu to drop down from one frame
> > into another.

> That was not the op's question. The question was how to make the target of
> the link render in the other frame.

I feel sorry for you, my friend. The op's question actually reads:
"Or does anyone else has a good alternative to write a dropdown menu in html?"

2. > DHTML is simply a word made up by microsoft. It means nothing.

I see. Yet some idiots who are not as knowleadgeable as rf, write pretty good things using that meaningless DHTML. And most irritably, these things work. Would not it be nice, rf, if you could prohibit DHTML together with top-posting? You cannot? No fault of yours. The God usually gives no horns to a caw which is apt to butt.

3. > Trying to make a menu with javascript that does not fall back gracefully in
> the absense of javascript (and most of them do not) is the same as turning
> your server of for six weeks out of the year.

RF seems to write webpages for IE1 and NC0. If one has nothing to occupy himself, he/her can spend time in the 21st century writing code's versions for the browsers which do not support javascript and graphics.

4. > and what about the other couple of hundred browsers out there.

So what is your advice to the op? Not to use javascript at all? Or write couple of hundreds of the code versions to suit every brouser? Bravo, rf, you are as useful as a fart in a spacesuit !

5. > > You cannot make a decent menu with just classic HTML.

> Oh yes I can. And what is "classic" HTML?

RF, are you OK? In the same line you admit that you have no clue of what is "classic" HTML and at the same time you claim you can make a decent menu "classic" HTML? Got a bit too tired?

Anyway, if you can, why did not you show us how to do that, as the op asked?

Instead you opted to be a smartarse:

"What menu? I see a bunch of select elements on a black background. I also see a toaster. I don't see any menu."

Again, thank you very much, rf, for the free entertainment you provided.

WebcastMaker

In article <416adeda$0$44833$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Again, thank you very much, rf, for the free entertainment you provided.

Ah-hem, this is usenet. You ask a question (or make a statement) and
the result is various opinions and arguments until it eventually turns
into a flash or no flash argument, which I usually win because I am
right, then the thread ends...

If during the life of the thread, you can pull a workable answer, then
you win. If not, then you move on.

Telling rf (or anyone else for that matter) they are a jerk because you
did not like their answer is wasting time.

I hope everyone had their sarcasm undies on while they read that...
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free
http://www.webentations.com
http://www.webcastmaker.com (CBT)

aa

1. "you can pull a workable answer, then you win."

Unlike rf, I pulled a workable answer - see me first post to this thread.

rf in this threads, like in some others which I read, always shows his
smart(ass)ness and so far I saw no useful input of his

2. "Telling rf (or anyone else for that matter) they are a jerk because you
did not like their answer is wasting time."

In this thread I was answering op, and let him/her judge if my reply was
less useful then the others.
Apart from the op, I only replied to rf. So there is no "anyone else" here.

I did not tell rf her was a jerk - if you drew that conclusion about rf, I
have nothing to do with that, though I might agree with you.
Yes, I did not like rf's reply to the op - did you?

WebcastMaker

In article <416b0629$1$59439$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Unlike rf, I pulled a workable answer - see me first post to this thread.
> I did not tell rf her was a jerk - if you drew that conclusion about rf, I
> have nothing to do with that, though I might agree with you.
> Yes, I did not like rf's reply to the op - did you?

His answer, was his answer, like it, don't like it, who cares. This is
usenet. You get what you pay for. (Well except in porn groups where
you get something extra...)

Peace-out dude....

--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free
http://www.webentations.com
http://www.webcastmaker.com (CBT)

rf

aa wrote:

> Dear rf,

I am not your dear anything, aa. When you post here you are posting to the
entire group, not an individual.

> > That was not the op's question. The question was how to make the target

of
> > the link render in the other frame.

> I feel sorry for you, my friend. The op's question actually reads:
> "Or does anyone else has a good alternative to write a dropdown menu in

html?"

You missed the bit above that wherein the OP said
<quote>
What can I do to make the links in the menu to open in the main-frame.
</quote>

Quite obviously, to me at least, the OPs desire is to make a link actived in
one frame open the resulting page in another frame.

It is when the OP generalises by saying, basically, "this is what I have
tried, is there a better way" that your misunderstanding becomes evident.

Such a statement as the OPs generalisation does *not* mean the OP suddenly
wants an entirely different question answered, such as a drift off into
having drop down menus cross frame boundaries, a totally different topic.

Besudesm the drop down menu has already been dismissed by the time the OP's
question comes into play, that of where to display the result page.

If you cannot understand the entire question you should seriously consider
if you should reply to any part of it.

--
Cheers
Richard.

rf

rf, in correction mode, wrote:

> Besudesm the drop down menu has already been dismissed by the time the

OP's

s/Besudesm/Besides,/

Never glance over your left shoulder at the crows that have just landed on
the veranda outside the computer room whilst using usenet. Your right hand
is likely to slip one key place to the left. Such are the trivial rules we
acquire through life

--
Cheers
Richard.

Neal

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:25:28 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

> Never glance over your left shoulder at the crows that have just landed
> on
> the veranda outside the computer room whilst using usenet.

Sure ya do. Gotta make sure they aren't gonna peck your eyeballs out. And
if they did that, you'd have to change the text size in your browser. So
no good.

Toby Inkster

rf wrote:

> I am not your dear anything, aa. When you post here you are posting to the
> entire group, not an individual.

I think he's probably actually addressing the 3 to 4 people who haven't
killfiled him.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Karl Core

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> rf wrote:
>
>> I am not your dear anything, aa. When you post here you are posting to
>> the
>> entire group, not an individual.

> I think he's probably actually addressing the 3 to 4 people who haven't
> killfiled him.

Killfiled who?

-Karl