Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > validation problems

validation problems

King of Red Lions

Hi I have tried validating my page and it comes up with this ...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ically%29&ss=1

.... these all errors to do with the links but there is one problem, when
I look at the source of my site I don't even have that code they are
more like <a href="index.php?page=links>links</a>

Any help would be much appreciated.

brucie

In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ically%29&ss=1
> ... these all errors to do with the links but there is one problem, when
> I look at the source of my site I don't even have that code they are
> more like <a href="index.php?page=links>links</a>

you need to change all the '&' to '&amp;'. as php is generating the '&'s
you need to tell php its a bad little boy and needs to stop it before it
goes blind and its giggly bits fall off.

ini_set("arg_separator.output", "&amp;");

simple test:

<?
$original=ini_get("arg_separator.output");
ini_set("arg_separator.output", "&amp;");
$new=ini_get("arg_separator.output");
echo 'original= '.$original.' new= '.$new;
?>

viewing source should show:

original= & new= &amp;

ini_set
http://www.php.net/manual/sv/function.ini-set.php

How to change configuration settings
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.php

or you could just ignore the errors

--
l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e

Deryck

"King of Red Lions" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ck0r23$974$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I have tried validating my page and it comes up with this ...
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ically%29&ss=1
>
> ... these all errors to do with the links but there is one problem, when I
> look at the source of my site I don't even have that code they are more
> like <a href="index.php?page=links>links</a>
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Replace the & characters in the links with &amp;

If they are not in your HTML then you must be using some sort of server side
include technology that is doing that and you should fix it there.

Also, update your javascript <script> tags.

Deryck

HTH

Deryck

Neal

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:18:12 +1000, brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:

> you need to tell php its a bad little boy and needs to stop it before it
> goes blind and its giggly bits fall off.

I think this is sound advice, but a follow-up question:

Where do we find PHP's "giggly bits"? Or, more to the point, would we
*want* to?

brucie

In alt.html Neal said:

> Where do we find PHP's "giggly bits"?

php.ini

> Or, more to the point, would we *want* to?

you need to on install so php will do its php thing

--
l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e

King of Red Lions

brucie wrote:
> In alt.html Neal said:
>

>>Where do we find PHP's "giggly bits"?

> php.ini

Okay, call me stupid but where is php.ini?

brucie

In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

> Okay, call me stupid

what about stud muffin?

> but where is php.ini?

you don't have access to it with a virtual account but you can still
make changes other ways. the easiest method is just to use ini-set:

brucie wrote:
> In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
>

>>Okay, call me stupid

> what about stud muffin?
>

>>but where is php.ini?

> you don't have access to it with a virtual account but you can still
> make changes other ways. the easiest method is just to use ini-set:
>
> ini_set("arg_separator.output", "&amp;");
>
> ini_set
> http://www.php.net/manual/sv/function.ini-set.php

Thanks, worked great. I know have an xhtml validated site. Cheers again!