Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hidding text with css?

Hidding text with css?

SamuŽl van Laere

Dear all,

I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
screenreaders to read the text.
I've tried both display: none and visibility: hidden but in both cases Jaws
couldn't read the text.

Any thoughts on this?

Just in case one like to know what text i like to hide onscreen but not in
screenreaders:
End of page

Thanks in advance,
SamuŽl van Laere
the Netherlands

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:59:15 GMT, SamuŽl van Laere <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

@media screen { .foo {display:none;} }

> Just in case one like to know what text i like to hide onscreen but not in
> screenreaders:
> End of page

Surely a screen reader is capable of working out where the page ends?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Spartanicus

Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
>> screenreaders to read the text.

>@media screen { .foo {display:none;} }

Screen readers typically render what is shown on screen. Positioning the
element off screen is the way to do this.

>> Just in case one like to know what text i like to hide onscreen but not in
>> screenreaders:
>> End of page

>Surely a screen reader is capable of working out where the page ends?

Indeed.

--
Spartanicus

Mark Parnell

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:32:38 +0100, Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Screen readers typically render what is shown on screen.

Ah. Because they just sit on top of another browser (e.g. IE), and use
its rendering engine. Are there any "true" aural browsers (i.e. with
their own rendering engine)?

I have to admit, I have a fairly limited understanding of aural
browsers. I guess I was being a bit too idealistic.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Spartanicus

Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any "true" aural browsers (i.e. with
>their own rendering engine)?

Afaik http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/ is so far the only to support
aural css. I don't know anything about it's rendering engine.

--
Spartanicus

Deryck

"SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nzG8d.1583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
> screenreaders to read the text.
> I've tried both display: none and visibility: hidden but in both cases
> Jaws
> couldn't read the text.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Is this what you are looking for?....
..hidden
{
position:absolute;
left:0px;
top:-500px;
width:1px;
height:1px;
overflow:hidden;
} <div class="hidden">This text is hidden.</div>The text is out of the
viewable area but still gets read by a screen reader. I'm not sure whether
your definition of screen is the same as the viewable area or not.The above
was taken from http://www.webaim.org/techniques/art...ntextHTHDeryck

SamuŽl van Laere

Thanks for the input all,
I'll go with Bohman's method described here:
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/articles/hiddentext
thanks for the URI Deryck

Regards,
SamuŽl van Laere
the Netherlands

"Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nzG8d.1583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
> > screenreaders to read the text.
> > I've tried both display: none and visibility: hidden but in both cases
> > Jaws
> > couldn't read the text.
> >
> > Any thoughts on this?
> >

> Is this what you are looking for?....
> .hidden
> {
> position:absolute;
> left:0px;
> top:-500px;
> width:1px;
> height:1px;
> overflow:hidden;
> } <div class="hidden">This text is hidden.</div>The text is out of the
> viewable area but still gets read by a screen reader. I'm not sure whether
> your definition of screen is the same as the viewable area or not.The

above
> was taken from

http://www.webaim.org/techniques/art...ntextHTHDeryck

Jukka K. Korpela

"Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> viewable area but still gets read by a screen reader.

But, of course, it is in no way hidden to any browser that has CSS
support disabled, or has no CSS support. This includes search engines.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Michael Fesser

.oO(Mark Parnell)

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:59:15 GMT, SamuŽl van Laere <(E-Mail Removed)>
>declared in alt.html:
>
>> I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
>> screenreaders to read the text.

>@media screen { .foo {display:none;} }

ScreenreaderVisibility
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page...aderVisibility