Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Is "longdesc" recognized by screen readers?

Is "longdesc" recognized by screen readers?

Owen Jacobson

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:24:44 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

> Neal schreef:
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:44:54 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Some programs are, sometimes, too expensive to buy. Then I considder
>>> to use a trail crack. If I really want the program, then I buy the
>>> full version.

>> Your TV is too expensive for me to buy, so I'll just come take yours. If
>> I decide I really like it, I'll return it and pony up the dough to buy
>> my own.

He's making an (IMO, bad) analogy to physical property. His point,
however, is a good one: you do not have the privilege of "trying out"
software at will, regardless of how much to the benefit of the author it
may end up being. You may especially not break laws (copyright, in this
case) to "try out" a product, whether that product is a piece of
software or your television. The only[0] time you're free to "try out" a
piece of software is when it is specifically offered for trial, and in
that case once your trial license expires you are no longer permitted to
use the software.

Furthermore, the original poster (just to keep this on-topic) *has* used
his trial licenses for a number of aural user agents, which have expired.
Suggesting he crack them is pretty sleazy of you. You said that you
"respect also the programmers and the law", but if you truly did, you
would ask the developers if you could try out their products, and then
respect their decisions on the matter, rather than simply helping yourself.

If you feel this state of affairs is somehow unfair, I encourage you to
find like-minded individuals and lobby for a change in laws. I don't; I
feel the current software licensing laws are broken in entirely different
ways, but "you can't use a product you haven't paid for" is pretty
intuitively correct in our society.

[0] Excusing free (as in libre) or free (as in gratis) software from the
debate, for the moment.

--
Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who

Neal

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:18:43 GMT, Owen Jacobson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:24:44 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>
>> Neal schreef:
>>> Your TV is too expensive for me to buy, so I'll just come take yours.
>>> If
>>> I decide I really like it, I'll return it and pony up the dough to buy
>>> my own.

> He's making an (IMO, bad) analogy to physical property.

Agreed, phusical property and intelectual property are fundamentally
different. The point is, I don't have the right to take your TV. It's to
be used as you see fit, and if I do use it it must be with your permission.

You have as much right to crack software as I do to steal your belongings.

Edwin van der Vaart

Neal schreef:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:18:43 GMT, Owen Jacobson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> He's making an (IMO, bad) analogy to physical property.

> Agreed, phusical property and intelectual property are fundamentally
> different. The point is, I don't have the right to take your TV. It's to
> be used as you see fit, and if I do use it it must be with your permission.
>
> You have as much right to crack software as I do to steal your belongings.

Oh I see.
Thanx for enlighten me up.
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Deryck

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> steal them from the home of someone who uses them and just for a laugh
> move the furniture around before you leave.

You kill me Brucie.
I'm sure thats an old joke but I havent heard it and it fitted in so well
with the divergent thread about intellectual/physical property theft. Un-PC
but so amusing I nearly "scent-marked" myself with laughter. This and PHP
giggly bits in the same day.

Deryck