Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > is ' (apostrophe) deprecated?

is ' (apostrophe) deprecated?

James Mercola

Hi,

I visited a site recently that uses " ' " for apostrophes, but they
show up as the actual code rather than the apostrophe as intended (using
IE6sp2). On Mozilla Firefox they come thru as apostrophes okay.

Does anyone know if this code is deprecated?

thanks!

James

Dylan Parry

Spake James Mercola unto thee:

> Does anyone know if this code is deprecated?

It's not. It's not actually a part of HTML, but rather a character
reference, and so can't be deprecated. More likely is that you have found
a giggly new bug

--
Dylan Parry
http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

Jukka K. Korpela

"James Mercola" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I visited a site recently that uses " &apos; " for apostrophes, but
> they show up as the actual code rather than the apostrophe as
> intended (using IE6sp2). On Mozilla Firefox they come thru as
> apostrophes okay.
>
> Does anyone know if this code is deprecated?

It is not deprecated. It is _undefined_ up to and including HTML 4.01 (so
browsers may do whatever they like with it), and it is defined in XHTML
since it is part of XML. And it's never needed.

For more info, see a recent thread in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
( http://groups.google.com/groups?th=c43d6958305e608b )

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven James Mercola:

> I visited a site recently that uses " &apos; " for apostrophes, but
> they show up as the actual code rather than the apostrophe as
> intended (using IE6sp2). On Mozilla Firefox they come thru as
> apostrophes okay.

It's an IE bug... or rather not supported. My ISP has a news service
on their home page that started using &apos; and immediately all the
IE users started complaining "what's this crap?" As you say, it works
fine in Moz and Firefox.

The service finally dropped using it.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

sjk30 sjk30 is offline
Junior Member

Use &#39; for an apostrophe (straight quote mark)
Use &#34; for speech marks (double straight quote marks)

Last edited by sjk30; 02-07-2011 at 03:01 PM..