Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Scrolling a Layer Horizontally

Scrolling a Layer Horizontally

Keith

Is it possible to scroll a layer horizontally?

I have a popup which has on it some information about the specific item
requested and on the bottom of the popup I want to have a horizontal list of
images to click on.

I set a layer up and put my images in, but it will not give me a horizintal
scroll-bar.

SpaceGirl

Keith wrote:
> Is it possible to scroll a layer horizontally?
>
> I have a popup which has on it some information about the specific item
> requested and on the bottom of the popup I want to have a horizontal list of
> images to click on.
>
> I set a layer up and put my images in, but it will not give me a horizintal
> scroll-bar.

you can add scrollbars to a layer (div) using the following:

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Keith

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Keith wrote:
>> Is it possible to scroll a layer horizontally?
>>
>> I have a popup which has on it some information about the specific item
>> requested and on the bottom of the popup I want to have a horizontal list
>> of images to click on.
>>
>> I set a layer up and put my images in, but it will not give me a
>> horizintal scroll-bar.

> you can add scrollbars to a layer (div) using the following:

> --
>

> x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
>
> # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
> # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

Thanks

Is it possible to completely hide the vertical scrollbar and only show the
horizontal one?

SpaceGirl

Keith wrote:
> "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Keith wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to scroll a layer horizontally?
>>>
>>>I have a popup which has on it some information about the specific item
>>>requested and on the bottom of the popup I want to have a horizontal list
>>>of images to click on.
>>>
>>>I set a layer up and put my images in, but it will not give me a
>>>horizintal scroll-bar.

>>you can add scrollbars to a layer (div) using the following:

>>--
>>

>>x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
>>
>># lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
>># remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

> Thanks
>
> Is it possible to completely hide the vertical scrollbar and only show the
> horizontal one?

Sadly no... :/

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Keith wrote:

>>>you can add scrollbars to a layer (div) using the following:

>> Is it possible to completely hide the vertical scrollbar and only show the
>> horizontal one?

>Sadly no... :/

Actually, yes. But.....
.... only with non-standard IE-specific code.

overflow: auto; for the real browsers and
overflow-x: scroll; overflow-y: hidden; for IE will lead to horizontal
scrollbars only in IE and both scrollbars in other browsers.

If non-standard code is acceptable in your project then this will
deliver the lok you want to a large proportion of the audience and a
usable fallback look to the rest.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve Pugh wrote:
> SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Keith wrote:

>>>Is it possible to completely hide the vertical scrollbar and only show the
>>>horizontal one?

>>Sadly no... :/

> Actually, yes. But.....
> ... only with non-standard IE-specific code.
>
> overflow: auto; for the real browsers and
> overflow-x: scroll; overflow-y: hidden; for IE will lead to horizontal
> scrollbars only in IE and both scrollbars in other browsers.
>
> If non-standard code is acceptable in your project then this will
> deliver the lok you want to a large proportion of the audience and a
> usable fallback look to the rest.
>
> Steve

Yep! I forgot about that.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

DU

Steve Pugh wrote:
> SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Keith wrote:

>>>Is it possible to completely hide the vertical scrollbar and only show the
>>>horizontal one?

>>Sadly no... :/

> Actually, yes. But.....
> ... only with non-standard IE-specific code.
>
> overflow: auto; for the real browsers and
> overflow-x: scroll; overflow-y: hidden; for IE will lead to horizontal
> scrollbars only in IE and both scrollbars in other browsers.

-moz-scrollbars-horizontal: scroll; -moz-scrollbars-vertical: hidden;
for Mozilla versions prior to 1.8a3.
After 1.8a3, Mozilla supports CSS3 WD overflow-x and overflow-y properties.

DU
--
The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
Mozilla 1.7.3