Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > building a web site with html

building a web site with html

Richard

Hi,

I want to build a web site containing pictures, Flash animations,
Flash games and later on a little store. Can I do all that with html and
Flash or do I need some commercial software such as Dreamweaver?

Thanks,

Richard

The Doormouse

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I want to build a web site containing pictures, Flash
> animations,
> Flash games and later on a little store. Can I do all that with html
> and Flash or do I need some commercial software such as Dreamweaver?

The commercial software makes building a page easier. A pro can sit down
with Notepad - except for the Flash content.

Flash is commercial software, and entire websites can be built with it.
It might make building a store easier, but - BUT - you may want to look
at service providers who can run the "store" part of your site.

Generally, building an all-Flash site is a bad idea, because you really
learn nothing about web pages that way and you have to rely 100% on the
tool. The product is called "Flash" for a reason! Many all-Flash sites
have severe useability issues on different browser settings - "but it
looks great at 1280x760!" - LOL. The cry of the Flash weenie.

The Doormouse

SpaceGirl

The Doormouse wrote:

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I want to build a web site containing pictures, Flash
>> animations,
>>Flash games and later on a little store. Can I do all that with html
>>and Flash or do I need some commercial software such as Dreamweaver?

> The commercial software makes building a page easier. A pro can sit down
> with Notepad - except for the Flash content.
>
> Flash is commercial software, and entire websites can be built with it.
> It might make building a store easier, but - BUT - you may want to look
> at service providers who can run the "store" part of your site.
>
> Generally, building an all-Flash site is a bad idea, because you really
> learn nothing about web pages that way and you have to rely 100% on the
> tool. The product is called "Flash" for a reason! Many all-Flash sites
> have severe useability issues on different browser settings - "but it
> looks great at 1280x760!" - LOL. The cry of the Flash weenie.
>
> The Doormouse

Far less issues than HTML tho... at least you know your Flash will be
exactly the same in all browsers, all platforms - unlike HTML.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Richard

"The Doormouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I want to build a web site containing pictures, Flash
>> animations,
>> Flash games and later on a little store. Can I do all that with html
>> and Flash or do I need some commercial software such as Dreamweaver?

> The commercial software makes building a page easier. A pro can sit down
> with Notepad - except for the Flash content.
>
> Flash is commercial software, and entire websites can be built with it.
> It might make building a store easier, but - BUT - you may want to look
> at service providers who can run the "store" part of your site.
>
> Generally, building an all-Flash site is a bad idea, because you really
> learn nothing about web pages that way and you have to rely 100% on the
> tool. The product is called "Flash" for a reason! Many all-Flash sites
> have severe useability issues on different browser settings - "but it
> looks great at 1280x760!" - LOL. The cry of the Flash weenie.
>
> The Doormouse
>
> --
> The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.

Hi,

I don't want to use Flash to build my web site. I want only to use
Flash to build animations and Flash games. I want to know if it is possible
to build the rest of the web site in HTML or do I need commercial software
such as Dreamweaver, especially for the web store part.

Thanks,

Renoir

Richard

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Doormouse wrote:
>
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> I want to build a web site containing pictures, Flash
>>> animations, Flash games and later on a little store. Can I do all
>>> that with html
>>>and Flash or do I need some commercial software such as Dreamweaver?

>> The commercial software makes building a page easier. A pro can sit down
>> with Notepad - except for the Flash content.
>>
>> Flash is commercial software, and entire websites can be built with it.
>> It might make building a store easier, but - BUT - you may want to look
>> at service providers who can run the "store" part of your site.
>> Generally, building an all-Flash site is a bad idea, because you really
>> learn nothing about web pages that way and you have to rely 100% on the
>> tool. The product is called "Flash" for a reason! Many all-Flash sites
>> have severe useability issues on different browser settings - "but it
>> looks great at 1280x760!" - LOL. The cry of the Flash weenie.
>>
>> The Doormouse
>>

> Far less issues than HTML tho... at least you know your Flash will be
> exactly the same in all browsers, all platforms - unlike HTML.
>
> --
>

> x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
>
> # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
> # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

Does the problem that you write also exist with commercial software
such as Dreamweaver?

Thanks,

Richard

Deryck

news:B6C7d.35621$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> I want to know if it is possible to build the rest of the web site
> in HTML or do I need commercial software such as Dreamweaver, especially
> for the web store part.

You will need some Javascript or server side stuff such as PHP for the
webstore part.
The rest of the site can be written in just HTML if you wish.
You can use Dreamweaver to write the HTML if you wish, or you can use other
HTML editors or just a text editor.
Dreamweaver will not help you write the Javascript/PHP part (a text editor
will do for that).

Hope thats clearer,

Deryck

Joel Shepherd

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Far less issues than HTML tho... at least you know your Flash will be
> exactly the same...

That's kind of like slagging on cars because they don't (normally
<cough>) fly like airplanes. They're not *supposed* to, so it's not a
helpful comparison. Similarly, HTML has never claimed to render exactly
the same in different situations. Its inability to do so is often
considered a strength.

> in all browsers, all platforms

.... "Where Flash is supported." At least with HTML, if you have a
browser it's likely to be supported, albeit crappily in certain cases.

--
Joel.

Neal

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:27:19 -0400, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to build a web site containing pictures, Flash animations,
> Flash games and later on a little store. Can I do all that with html and
> Flash or do I need some commercial software such as Dreamweaver?

The basic web page - I never use authoring software, aside from Crimson
Editor which color-highlights code for me. So sure, anything you want to
do in HTML and CSS, you can type it in by hand. It might take a while, but
if you're new to it, I recommend taking a while. Too many new authors rely
on the program to do the thinking, and that's a very wrong approach -
similar to allowing Microsoft Word decide the layout of your letter on its
own, or allowing Paint Shop Pro to choose the way to save an image despite
your application for the image.

The Flash, of course, needs to be created with software. It can be
included into the HTML page rather simply, though it's a bit quirky in
some browsers and a little backfitting is needed to make it work. I think
it's Spartanicus who has a page on including Flash into a webpage, not
sure if I remember correctly.

The store - this will require probably PHP. That's a little beyond me, but
unless you're going big time, you could use PayPal and simplify things.
Or, go full out and find/write a script which takes orders, credit
information, etc. I'd go the "find" route, and look for something which is
positively secure.

So, to answer the last question, you don't NEED Dreamweaver. In fact,
unless you can do a whole page by hand, I don't recommend it. You'll lean
too heavily on it to do the work.

Neal

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:42:32 GMT, Joel Shepherd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> SpaceGirl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (Flash websites work consistently) in all browsers, all platforms

> ... "Where Flash is supported." At least with HTML, if you have a
> browser it's likely to be supported, albeit crappily in certain cases.

Although in this case, the content is Flash games and animations. There is
an argument that unless you can use Flash, this site would not be useful
anyway.

Here's an example: http://www.homestarrunner.com/ . This is a site that's
html-page-based but nearly all content is Flash. It works superbly, if not
perfectly, in all Flash-enabled browsers I've tried, and it doesn't matter
whether it does or not in a no-Flash environment. Plus it's one of the
more creative sites on the WWW IMO.

In cases where the Flash is not the whole of the content, it can be argued
that it should be optional and the page should still work, so you can find
things on one no-Flash computer for use on another Flash-enabled browser,
for instance.

Steve Pugh

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:06:15 -0400, "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I don't want to use Flash to build my web site. I want only to use
>Flash to build animations and Flash games. I want to know if it is possible
>to build the rest of the web site in HTML or do I need commercial software
>such as Dreamweaver, especially for the web store part.

Dreamweaver is just a tool to help you generate HTML. The quality of
the HTML is generates is directly proportional to the level of
knowledge of the user - people who have a good knowledge of HTML can
produce good HTML with DW, people who don't, don't.

To make a 'web store' you'll need some sort of server side language -
Perl, PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, JSP, etc., etc. - and probably a database
as well - MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc., etc. Whilst DW is designed
to help you create pages that integrate with the commonest languages
and databases it can't do the work for you. So if you don't have the
skills your self you'll either need to purchase an off the shelf
e-commerce package or hire someone who knows what they're doing.

Steve