Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Form Mail vs Mailto Links

Form Mail vs Mailto Links

Davmagic .Com

I maintain that using Form Mail for user contact is better than using a
Mailto link... for a few important reasons:

1. Form Mail can be used by all users irregardless if they have an email
program available to them or not... whereas Mailto can only be used if a
user has an email program available, leaving many public internet users
with disabled email out of luck with Mailto...

2. Form Mail if properly configured can eliminate email harvesting
resulting in less spam mail... whereas Mailto cannot, unless JavaScript
is used to disguise the address, which leaves users with JS disabled,
out of luck...

Any Comments?

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

Neal

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:13:01 -0400, Davmagic .Com <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I maintain that using Form Mail for user contact is better than using a
> Mailto link... for a few important reasons:
>
> 1. Form Mail can be used by all users irregardless if they have an email
> program available to them or not... whereas Mailto can only be used if a
> user has an email program available, leaving many public internet users
> with disabled email out of luck with Mailto...
>
> 2. Form Mail if properly configured can eliminate email harvesting
> resulting in less spam mail... whereas Mailto cannot, unless JavaScript
> is used to disguise the address, which leaves users with JS disabled,
> out of luck...

Consider, though, that users may want to use their client to email you, as
it saves a copy locally.

The best approach is to use a secure CGI mail form but also provide a real
address. The spam can be handled locally, it's a small price to pay for
accommodating user need.

Davmagic .Com

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Neal)
>The best approach is to use a secure CGI
>mail form but also provide a real address.
>The spam can be handled locally, it's a
>small price to pay for accommodating
>user need.

By "locally" do you mean with spam filters? If so... no this is not a
viable solution... for my (in particular) email client...

As far as "paying prices" goes, it seems that letting the user pay it,
with no Mailto links would be more prudent, not more accomodating but
more prudent...

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

Dano

"Davmagic .Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Neal)
>>The best approach is to use a secure CGI
>>mail form but also provide a real address.
>>The spam can be handled locally, it's a
>>small price to pay for accommodating
>>user need.

> By "locally" do you mean with spam filters? If so... no this is not a
> viable solution... for my (in particular) email client...
>
> As far as "paying prices" goes, it seems that letting the user pay it,
> with no Mailto links would be more prudent, not more accomodating but
> more prudent...

Sometimes you see on a site not the actual clickable mailto-link, but the
email in some textformat, like:
john.doe (at) hotmail (dot) com or (E-Mail Removed) (but then without
the hyperlink)

--
Dano

Jim Higson

Davmagic .Com wrote:

>>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Neal)
>>The best approach is to use a secure CGI
>>mail form but also provide a real address.
>>The spam can be handled locally, it's a
>>small price to pay for accommodating
>>user need.

> By "locally" do you mean with spam filters? If so... no this is not a
> viable solution... for my (in particular) email client...

Yes, spam filters are good, but you don't need to rely on your client to
filter.

SpamAssassin is a **superb** filter - On some accounts I get a spam:ham
ratio of about 20:1 and I've had no false positives and only ONE false
negative in the last year or so.

It is free software and can run as a proxy between your client and the
mailserver, or on the mail server, or (with a decent email client) be
called by the client when it fetches the mail.

Getting back to the original question, I like my email client. A lot of
people don't apreciate how nice a good client is to use because they've
only ever seen Outlook, but I much prefer typing with a tool setup for
email with spellchecker, email-ish wrapping, text highlighting, and where I
can just hit a key to send - much, much nicer than a plain html textarea.