Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A footer

A footer

Craig

Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't bigger than a
screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
at the bottom of the screen.

Spartanicus

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
>to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't bigger than a
>screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
>page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
>at the bottom of the screen.

The correct way is to stop wanting that, allow the footer to flow
beneath the content.

Btw "page" = the whole content, use "viewport" to refer to a window's
size, "screen" = the entire display area.

--
Spartanicus

Jan Faerber

Craig wrote:

> Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or
> anything, to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't
> bigger than a screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at
> the bottom of the page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then
> the footer must be at the bottom of the screen.

not any browser shows this:
--
Jan

http://213.47.90.11

Jan Faerber

.... sorry ... bottom
--
Jan

http://213.47.90.11

Craig

Thanks for that. Pretty new, so excuse the inacurate wording.
"Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
> "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or

anything,
> >to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't bigger than a
> >screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of

the
> >page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must

be
> >at the bottom of the screen.

> The correct way is to stop wanting that, allow the footer to flow
> beneath the content.
>
> Btw "page" = the whole content, use "viewport" to refer to a window's
> size, "screen" = the entire display area.
>
> --
> Spartanicus

Matt Jones

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
> to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't bigger than a
> screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
> page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
> at the bottom of the screen.

Take a look at this article at A List Apart:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/footers/

Matt

Eric B. Bednarz

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
> to get a footer at the bottom of a screen

No. Define 'correct' first, and why the techniques you do not wish to
employ (especially 'or anything') do not apply.

> if the page isn't bigger than a
> screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
> page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
> at the bottom of the screen.

Well, with no particular benefit that meets at least my eye, you could
do so with div soup and css, if that's the objective:

<http://sandbox.bednarz.nl/css/height/footer.html>

--
| ) PiĆ¹ Cabernet,
-( meno Internet.
| ) http://bednarz.nl/

David Dorward

<posted & mailed>

Jan Faerber wrote:

> ... sorry ... bottom

Well... (a) with absolute positioning it will be at the bottom of the
containing block - which is not "The screen if the page is shorter then the
screen and the page if the page is longer then the screen" and (b) relative
positioning would move it 10 pixels from where it would be if it wasn't
positioned at all.

So neither of those do what the OP wanted (and B doesn't even come close).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

Craig wrote:

> anything, to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't
> bigger than a screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at
> the bottom of the page.

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FooterInfo (the second half of that)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is