Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > early ecom crit

early ecom crit

The Doormouse

"mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> let me guess... you dont like the grey text and you want it to stretch
> 100% across the screen....

The cyan is just too weak for the menu items at left. Plus, that line at
the very top of the page should go away.

Everything else is very nice!

The Doormouse

mark | r

line at the top of the page? - you mean the gap in mozilla? i dont know
where thats coming from? - any help

mark

"The Doormouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> let me guess... you dont like the grey text and you want it to stretch
>> 100% across the screen....

> The cyan is just too weak for the menu items at left. Plus, that line at
> the very top of the page should go away.
>
> Everything else is very nice!
>
> The Doormouse
>
> --
> The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.

Karl Groves

"mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4157e489$0$8484$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/list.htm
>
> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
>
> can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL, is it(does it
> appear to be) easy to use?

In order to truly know whether it is "easy to use", you need to conduct a
formal test with participants who fit your user base.
Just off the top of my head, I will say that there is way too much
navigation below the fold.

Your "add to basket" link on the "list" page does not go to the basket and
does not actually add anything to the basket, but rather goes to a product
detail page.
You need to relabel that link as "View detail", or make it actually add the
product to the basket. Also, I have no idea what the hell those two little
symbols next to the "add to basket" link are supposed to mean.

You only have sample listings there right now, but ultimately you'll want to
make sure you're displaying relevant data that will allow users to compare
real data to the other listings. In fact, an ability to select multiple
items for comparison will help quite a bit.

The interaction flow of adding the product to the basket is absolutely
critical to converting "browsers" to "buyers". If you don't get that right,
you will suffer a lot of lost sales. Emulate amazon.com here, because they
do a great job. We've just finished usability tests on a Fortune 200
wireless company and their "add to cart" interaction flow was totally
screwed.

Good luck!

Karl

Matt Bostock

The colours don't do it for me Mark I'm afraid.

Matt

mark | r wrote:
> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/list.htm
>
> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
>
> can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL, is it(does it
> appear to be) easy to use?
>
> mark

kchayka

mark | r wrote:

> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
>
> can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL

Hmmm...

"This breathtaking new work of divine jewellery art radiates with the
fire of a sparkling solitaire diamond as it shimmers for all eternity at
the heart of a luxurious nine carat gold fingerband. Each breathtaking
ring features two tiny rhodium plated footprints beautifully set into
the graceful shoulders of its sophisticated form."

Does the overabundance of adjectives really make the product sound more
attractive? I'm not so sure it does. It tends to turn me off, but then
I'm probably not in the target market.

At what point do you stop sounding appealing and start sounding like a
used-car salesman?

Neal

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:36:34 -0500, kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> mark | r wrote:
>> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm

> This breathtaking new work of divine jewellery art...
> Each breathtaking ring ...

I can't breathe!

The Doormouse

"mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> line at the top of the page? - you mean the gap in mozilla? i dont know
> where thats coming from? - any help

"Designer Sterling Silver Jewellery. Contemporary Ring, Bracelett, Earring,
Necklace & Commissioned Jewellery Items"

- delete that whole line, it's unnecessary

The Doormouse

mark | r

actually the first 125 chars are used by the search engines to provide the
description - so its VERY necessary!

> "mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> line at the top of the page? - you mean the gap in mozilla? i dont know
>> where thats coming from? - any help

> "Designer Sterling Silver Jewellery. Contemporary Ring, Bracelett,
> Earring,
> Necklace & Commissioned Jewellery Items"
>
> - delete that whole line, it's unnecessary
>
> The Doormouse
>
> --
> The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.

mark | r

copy is pinched from a competitor - we're just dumping stuff in for now to
see how it looks

mark

"kchayka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark | r wrote:
>>
>> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
>>
>> can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL

> Hmmm...
>
> "This breathtaking new work of divine jewellery art radiates with the
> fire of a sparkling solitaire diamond as it shimmers for all eternity at
> the heart of a luxurious nine carat gold fingerband. Each breathtaking
> ring features two tiny rhodium plated footprints beautifully set into
> the graceful shoulders of its sophisticated form."
>
> Does the overabundance of adjectives really make the product sound more
> attractive? I'm not so sure it does. It tends to turn me off, but then
> I'm probably not in the target market.
>
> At what point do you stop sounding appealing and start sounding like a
> used-car salesman?
>
> --
> Reply email address is a bottomless spam bucket.
> Please reply to the group so everyone can share.

The Doormouse

"mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> actually the first 125 chars are used by the search engines to provide
> the description - so its VERY necessary!

You are in a precarious position - search engine optimization versus visual
design. I would ditch the words and place them in a META tag. Of course, a
search engine may ignore the META tags. The actual content of the page will
serve you better than tweaks, which is what the top line is (a tweak). Go
with the intent of the search engine. The intent of the search engine is to
index your page based on actual content, not SPAM SPAM SPAM.

The Doormouse

Popular ecom store ahmik.flock@gmail.com Computer Information 0 04-22-2008 11:53 AM
Popular ecom store Rashida HTML 0 02-16-2008 07:47 AM
scp crit 2 mark | r HTML 7 12-15-2005 04:55 PM
copy of CRIT from ADG mark | r HTML 3 05-25-2005 07:31 AM
GUI Crit mark | r HTML 1 09-18-2003 08:44 AM

Advertisments