Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Force JavaScript on User's Computer

Force JavaScript on User's Computer

Karl Burrows

How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

Thanks!

Noozer

"Karl Burrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a6C4d.93834$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so

that
> my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

You can't and you shouldn't.

Karl Burrows

Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to a
member site?

"Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Karl Burrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a6C4d.93834$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so

> that
> > my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

> You can't and you shouldn't.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Karl Burrows ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
typed...

(Top posting fixed. See http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for more
info)

> "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Karl Burrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:a6C4d.93834$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled
>>> so that my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

>> You can't and you shouldn't.

> Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to
> a member site?

Javascript is *not* going to give any kind of real security. You should look
into server-side approaches, such as PHP and / or password-protected web
directories. Google is your friend.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Karl Burrows

Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it. There
is nothing top secret in the member section, it is just a deterrent for
most. I am trying to get them to use the Web hosts login security which
would fix all that, but they are a non-profit and every dollar counts!

"nice.guy.nige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> While the city slept, Karl Burrows ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly
> typed...
>
> (Top posting fixed. See http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for more
> info)
>
> > "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Karl Burrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:a6C4d.93834$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >>
> >> You can't and you shouldn't.

> > Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to
> > a member site?

> Javascript is *not* going to give any kind of real security. You should

look
> into server-side approaches, such as PHP and / or password-protected web
> directories. Google is your friend.
>
> Cheers,
> Nige
>
> --
> Nigel Moss
> http://www.nigenet.org.uk
> Mail address not valid. (E-Mail Removed), take the DOG. out!
> In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!

Jukka K. Korpela

"Karl Burrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it.

Please keep quoting upside-down if you don't want to hear the truth, or
if you are just trolling. Thank you in advance. Oh, and please keep using
an address that is forged, or looks like forged, until you get a clue.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Karl Groves

"Karl Burrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UfD4d.94016$(E-Mail Removed). ..
<snip>

Numerous people have warned you about top-posting and have politely provided
you with informative links as to why top-posting is a bad idea.

If you want to ensure that you find yourself in numerous killfiles and have
all your future questions ignored, keep top-posting.

-Karl

David Dorward

Karl Burrows wrote:

> How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so
> that my member site is secure

Given the high proportion of security holes relating to scripting engines in
web browsers, having users enable JavaScript in their browsers would reduce
the security of the site, not the other way around.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jim Higson

Karl Burrows wrote:

> Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it. There
> is nothing top secret in the member section, it is just a deterrent for
> most. I am trying to get them to use the Web hosts login security which
> would fix all that, but they are a non-profit and every dollar counts!

Most servers allow you to do this with just a couple of lines in a config
file. Well, Apache does anyway, given every dollar counts I'll assume you
aren't using IIS!

This is dead easy to find on google. Try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=apach...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

WebcastMaker

In article <a6C4d.93834$(E-Mail Removed)>, kfb1
@bellspamsouth.net says...
> How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
> my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

Just say from the onset "if you want to use this website you will have
to have javascript turned on. Then you can guarantee that every single
person that _uses_ your site will have javascript turned on. Of course
there will be a small percentage of people that will not turn it on even
if they want your service. You will lose these people

But the real question is do you think that it is a good idea to have a
security system the person you are trying to secure it from, can turn
off?

Use something else.

--
WebcastMaker