Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Modifing Default Font and Size When Visiting Web Sites.

Modifing Default Font and Size When Visiting Web Sites.

Dennis M. Marks

I have run into a problem with the new Amtrak.com web site. It I set my
browser to use a larger font size, such as 14, the information
overflows out of the designed boxes. Should I expect a large commercial
web site to be able to handle any reasonable font and size set in my
preferences?

Other sites seem to handle a larger font size with no problems. Is this
just a design problem with Amtrak?

--
Dennis Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Dennis M. Marks:

> I have run into a problem with the new Amtrak.com web site. It I
> set my browser to use a larger font size, such as 14, the
> information overflows out of the designed boxes.

http://amtrak.com/ redirects via JavaScript only to:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...mtrak/HomePage

...which is one of the worst pages I've looked at in quite a while (for
a commercial site).

> Should I expect a large commercial web site to be able to handle
> any reasonable font and size set in my preferences?

You should be able to expect that...

> Other sites seem to handle a larger font size with no problems. Is
> this just a design problem with Amtrak?

Definitely. I was surprised the W3C validator only shows 123 errors
in that HomePage.
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amtrak.com%2Fservlet%2F ContentServer%3Fpagename%3DAmtrak%2FHomePage>

--
-bts