Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to get rid of crappy characters

how to get rid of crappy characters

boneless

Hi all,

when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up all
crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
shows a really as .

Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).
I've tried adding the line
but that don''t do the trick.

Anyone know of any solution?

Thanks
Boneless
www.boneless.nl

Jukka K. Korpela

boneless <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up
> all crappy.

Do you expect us to help without seeing a URL of a demonstration of the
problem?

> I think this may have something to do with the charset,

It may, or it may not.

> Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).

Means nothing to me. Or to a browser - what matters is what it produces.

> I've tried adding the line
> charset=ISO-8859-1"> but that don''t do the trick.

Well, to begin with, if the server actually sends a Content-Type header
with a charset parameter, then the browser must (by specification) ignore
and actually ignores (by existing implementations) that <meta> tag.

Do you see now why a URL is needed?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Kim Andr Aker

"boneless" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
> Hi all,
>
> when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up all
> crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
> anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
> shows a really as .
>
> Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).
> I've tried adding the line
> but that don''t do the trick.
>
> Anyone know of any solution?

You might be better off using entities.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp

= &eacute;
= &aacute;
= &ouml;
= &euml;

Just to pick the ones you mentioned in your original post.

--
Kim Andr Aker
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

boneless

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> boneless <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up
>> all crappy.

> Do you see now why a URL is needed?

Excuses and even more excuses!
The url is www.boneless.nl
the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php

Anything else needed?

Thanks, Boneless

WebcastMaker

In article <Xns95617C062E188boneless@213.73.255.21>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up
> >> all crappy.

> > Do you see now why a URL is needed?

> Excuses and even more excuses!
> The url is www.boneless.nl
> the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php
> Anything else needed?

Well a little better attitude from the person requesting help might be
nice...
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Neal

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:11:29 +0200, boneless <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> boneless <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up
>>> all crappy.

>> Do you see now why a URL is needed?

> Excuses and even more excuses!
> The url is www.boneless.nl
> the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php

ê displays properly. I find no instances of " or or " on your
page, either in source or page, nor as a direct character or an entity.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities , perhaps this helps.

Jukka K. Korpela

Neal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The url is www.boneless.nl
>> the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php

> ê displays properly. I find no instances of " or or " on your
> page, either in source or page, nor as a direct character or an entity.

Indeed. And the page is declared (both in HTTP headers and in a <meta>
tag) as being in UTF-8 encoding, so my wild guess is that the OP tried to
enter accented letters "just by typing them" - using a program that
enters them in ISO 8859-1 (or windows-1252 or whatever) encoding. They
won't work then of course (but character references and entity references
work).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Sid Ismail

:
: Excuses and even more excuses!
: The url is www.boneless.nl

Excuses? What's this - your personal helpdesk? Paid for?

Sid

Starshine Moonbeam

In article <4142accd$1@proxy.>, Kim Andr Aker
((E-Mail Removed)) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> "boneless" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
> > Hi all,
> >
> > when I put a character like or or on my website, it shows up all
> > crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
> > anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
> > shows a really as .
> >
> > Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).
> > I've tried adding the line
> > but that don''t do the trick.
> >
> > Anyone know of any solution?

> You might be better off using entities.
> http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp
>
> = &eacute;

> = &aacute;

> = &ouml;

> = &euml;

&#203

> Just to pick the ones you mentioned in your original post.

Another way to code those characters.

--
Starshine Moonbeam
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

=?UTF-8?b?TMSByrtpZSBUZWNoaWU=?=

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:37:45 +0200, boneless wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up all
> crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
> anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
> shows a ë really as ë.

How are these characters represented in the generated HTML? Are they
literals? Does the HTML used named entities (&egrave? Or how about
numeric entities (é)?

You will likely get better mileage with entities, especially if the
character literal is not defined in your page's charset.

For my Hawaiian pages, I have to use UTF-8 for everything to show up
properly.

HTH,
La'ie Techie