Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Feedback

Feedback

Colin Hammond

Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please this
is my first HTML try
(Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/
--
Ask how you would like the other person to treat you, then treat them that
way. This is the classic "Golden Rule" - do to others as you would have them

David Dorward

Colin Hammond wrote:

> Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please
> this
> is my first HTML try
> (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...F%7Eniloch1%2F
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Prob...h_using_frames

Background colours and background images don't match. Colour scheme is
inconsistant. Changes in font colour make titles unreadable. <font> is
obsolete and should not be used. Comic Sans MS is ugly. Centred paragraphs
of text are hard to read. Your JavaScript throws errors.

Probably other things wrong, but I'm not going to bother continuing for now.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jim Higson

Colin Hammond wrote:

> Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please
> this
> is my first HTML try
> (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

Personally, I would avoid using frames, pretty much the same effect can be
had if you make the buttons on the right absolutely positioned.

Also, the image on the site is pretty small, but you mark it up to be
larger, this is why it becomes pixelated.

rf

Colin Hammond

> Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please

this
> is my first HTML try

That is more or less exactly what you said 5 days ago. I see you have
actioned none of the advice you were given then.

Are you going to do this every 5 days?

--
Cheers
Richard.

WebcastMaker

> Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please this
> is my first HTML try
> (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

Depends what you want. For a personal home page, that may get 10 hits
this year from non-family, it is fine.

But do you want to do it right so non family members will like it?

Lose the frames. There are valid uses for frames, your page has none of
them

Validate your page.

Anything that follows the mouse was "cool" about 5 years ago. We all
grew up.

Then ask yourself a question, and be honest. Do you REALLY think it
looks good? I mean REALLY.

Again, if this is the only web site you will do, and if you don't expect
anyone to ever go there (less family and friends) then it is fine.
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

The Doormouse

"Colin Hammond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

We have seen this page before.
Ditch the frames. Again.

My memory span is longer than five days. If I pretended that YOUR memory
was as short as you are pretending that MY memory is short, wouldn't you be
offended?

The Doormouse

Jeffrey Silverman

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:38:38 +0000, Colin Hammond wrote:

> Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please this
> is my first HTML try
> (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/

Hi. It looks fine, as far as AOLer personal home pages go. As far as
generaly web design, it is awful.

If the purpose opf the page is to showcase your family, and you don't mean
to ever become a "web designer", then you are doing fine.

If, however, you want some real "web design" advice, I have some. Even if
you don't want it, here it is:

1) Frames are a generally unsound way of laying out web pages. There are
a variety of reasons why. They are a technological mistake. Not all
technology is good! (Although there may be some arguments for using frames)

2) Never ever ever EVER use img width and height to resize an image in the
browser!!! Never! It makes your image look like crap. Use an image editing
program. And no, it doesn't *have* to be photoshop! Try Irfanview, for
example (if all you need to do is resize images -- irfanview.com).

3) Using a different color for each letter looked good in, like, 5th
grade. Hm. Unless you *are* in fifth grade, which is possible (I mean it
is a family website, the kid could have made it!)

4) This goes back to the image resize thing -- what is the point of
smaller, "thumbnail" images on which you click and then go to the
full-size version? Bandwidth savings!! Once again, learn how to use a
photo editor to properly resize your images. There is no point in having
the full-size image as a thumbnail, but resized with the width and height
attributes.

You seem like a nice guy and your kids are cute. Don't use this one
website as your launch platform for your web design business, please!
Learn more design. Learn more techniques. Learn color theory. Learn a
smidge about fonts. And learn why not to use frames.

Whew. later...

--
Jeffrey Silverman
(E-Mail Removed)

Neal

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:42:42 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1) Frames are a generally unsound way of laying out web pages. There are
> a variety of reasons why. They are a technological mistake. Not all
> technology is good! (Although there may be some arguments for using
> frames)

In ciwah I asked for examples when frames aren't evil. Very few examples
came up. If the content is reference material and it's not necessary to
bookmark it, a frameset can be OK. But no designs require frames as far as
i can determine, and certainly most sites which use bookmarks get more
problems than benefits.

> 4) This goes back to the image resize thing -- what is the point of
> smaller, "thumbnail" images on which you click and then go to the
> full-size version? Bandwidth savings!! Once again, learn how to use a
> photo editor to properly resize your images. There is no point in having
> the full-size image as a thumbnail, but resized with the width and height
> attributes.

This speaks to the purpose of thumbnails - they must be
smaller-than-desired images which represent the full-size image. That's
the benefit - the user can see 20 images which all told load as fast as
one, and then can pick which ones (if any) they want to see in further
detail.

I'll only add that the lines breaking automatically are a pain. This
should be a large paragraph which wraps according to my browser's size.

Colin Hammond

I am sorry if I was repeating myself, but did not see he reply's when I
posted 5 days ago, so I reposted, I am dreadfully sorry, and thank you for
your constructive replies!!!!
"Colin Hammond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, have a look at my new webpage and leave me some feedback please
> this is my first HTML try
> (Link: http://members.dodo.com.au/~niloch1/
> --
> Ask how you would like the other person to treat you, then treat them that
> way. This is the classic "Golden Rule" - do to others as you would have
> them do to you.

Mark Parnell

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:44:13 GMT, Colin Hammond <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?t...gy.com#link185
http://tinyurl.com/3s3sm

--