Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > semi OT:Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page

semi OT:Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page

kayodeok

Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...rd_navigation/
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,785,865

Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
years ago, in March 1997.

"A user may press a tab key to discover and navigate to a first
hyperlink that is part of a hypertext document. The first hyperlink
is, in response, given focus and a focus shape is drawn around the
text or graphics for the hot region of the hyperlink. If the user
again presses the tab key, the next hyperlink is given focus and a
focus shape (i.e., an outline that surrounds the next hyperlink) is
drawn around the next hyperlink," we learn from the abstract.

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Jules

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:51:12 +0000, kayodeok wrote:

> Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...rd_navigation/
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,785,865
>
> Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
> the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
> 6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
> Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
> page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
> years ago, in March 1997.

Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:

http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b12...tml#Navigating the Web with
Lynx

(and probably earlier; it was around in 1993)

David Dorward

Jules wrote:

> Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:

.... but not with drawing an outline around the focused element - which the
patent specifies.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jim Higson

Jules wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:51:12 +0000, kayodeok wrote:
>
>> Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...rd_navigation/

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,785,865

>> Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
>> the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
>> 6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
>> Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
>> page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
>> years ago, in March 1997.

> Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:
>
> http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b12...tml#Navigating the Web with
> Lynx

Besides that, using tab to go through links in hypertext is just the logical
extension of the even older practice of tabbing through widgets in any GUI.
AFAIK that's what the damn tab key's for!

So MS have a patent on "using the tab key to tab" (Albeit in some context)

Hmmm....
I remember doing that waaay back on Amiga 500 programs.

WebcastMaker

> AFAIK that's what the damn tab key's for!

No the tab key is used for a tab. People have just raped it for other
meanings.

--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Blinky the Shark

Jules wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:51:12 +0000, kayodeok wrote:

>> Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...rd_navigation/
>> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,785,865

>> Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
>> the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
>> 6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
>> Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
>> page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
>> years ago, in March 1997.

> Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:

> http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b12...tml#Navigating the Web with
> Lynx

> (and probably earlier; it was around in 1993)

This is just another softening-up step, along with the recent doubleclick
patent, so when MS finally patents the alphabet nobody cares.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue

Jules

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:16:20 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
> This is just another softening-up step, along with the recent doubleclick
> patent, so when MS finally patents the alphabet nobody cares.

http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/fun...ents_main.html

WebcastMaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed). co.uk>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/fun...ents_main.html

Droll old humor.
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Mark Parnell

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:04:16 -0400, WebcastMaker <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Droll old humor.

Still funny though.

--