Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Wait Delay TimeOut Sleep

Wait Delay TimeOut Sleep

LL

Greetings all,
I'm new in HTML. I wrote this piece but want to play the music only
after 10 seconds.
What I found in Google is too complicated for me without examples.
Can somebody please put the necessary code between my code?
It may be in Java but please nothing else (like Macromedia).
Thanks in advance.

Start Code---

<head>
<title>NewPage1</title>
</head>

<object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"
id="WindowsMediaPlayer1" width="0" height="0">
<param name="URL" value="brahms.mid">
</object>

End Code---

WebcastMaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> It may be in Java but please nothing else (like Macromedia).
> Thanks in advance.

I feel insulted.... no code for you!
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Neal

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:00:29 GMT, LL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Greetings all,
> I'm new in HTML. I wrote this piece but want to play the music only
> after 10 seconds.

Oh my.

> What I found in Google is too complicated for me without examples.
> Can somebody please put the necessary code between my code?
> It may be in Java but please nothing else (like Macromedia).
> Thanks in advance.

Ok.

> Start Code---
>
> <head>
> <title>NewPage1</title>
> </head>

> <object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"
> id="WindowsMediaPlayer1" width="0" height="0">
> <param name="URL" value="brahms.mid">
> </object>

you're at work, you'd better turn that volume down damn quick, or you
might get fired. Oh, you did get fired? Sorry. My bad.</p>
into a p element. At least i have some real paragraphs.</p>

> End Code---

At least it's Brahms, but even that is uninvited music. It's a really
amateurish effect, and it isn't considerate of your visitors. Link to the
MIDI file and let them open it if they like.

LL

Greetings again to all, included webcastmaster and Neal.
Should I write a whole letter with my knowledge and my intentions?
Well:
I wish to learn something.
That something is HTML and the use of some delay in it.
If that is called Wait, Delay, Sleep or TimeOut I don't care.
I have no intention to publish something on the net, I repeat I only
want to learn the use of some delay. From what I read on the net and
in my book (yes I hav bought a book) it sometimes isn't possible
without java.
I know there are many other programs that can make this simple but I
don't learn anything that way, do I?
(BTW with Flash it's a piece of cake. I learned that from a friend.)
So please would someone help me and put some lines of codes in my code
so that I can see where and how it is done?
Thanks in advance
Liévin

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:00:29 GMT, LL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings all,
>I'm new in HTML. I wrote this piece but want to play the music only
>after 10 seconds.
>What I found in Google is too complicated for me without examples.
>Can somebody please put the necessary code between my code?
>It may be in Java but please nothing else (like Macromedia).
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Start Code---
>
><head>
><title>NewPage1</title>
></head>

><object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"
>id="WindowsMediaPlayer1" width="0" height="0">
> <param name="URL" value="brahms.mid">
></object>

>End Code---

Neal

http://www.w3schools.com

> and the use of some delay in it.
> If that is called Wait, Delay, Sleep or TimeOut I don't care.
> I have no intention to publish something on the net, I repeat I only
> want to learn the use of some delay. From what I read on the net and
> in my book (yes I hav bought a book) it sometimes isn't possible
> without java.
> I know there are many other programs that can make this simple but I
> don't learn anything that way, do I?
> (BTW with Flash it's a piece of cake. I learned that from a friend.)
> So please would someone help me and put some lines of codes in my code
> so that I can see where and how it is done?
> Thanks in advance
> Liévin

Well, as we focus on real actual websites here, it's no wonder we were
confused.

HTML is not a programming language, it is a markup language meant to
describe the structure of a page in order that the user agent can render
it appropriately. There is simply no HTML solution to what you're
attempting.

Wait, Delay, Sleep, TimeOut, etc. are not HTML. They are likely part of
some scripting language. You may fare better with this question in a
newsgroup more focused on Javascript, Java (which BTW are distinct), PHP,
or such a programming language.

It would be irresponsible for us not to advise you, however, that what
you're trying to do is generally thought of as a Very Bad Thing. Sound on
webpages should only be implemented at the request of the user.

Steve Pugh

LL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wish to learn something.
>That something is HTML and the use of some delay in it.

There is no delay in HTML. HTML is not a programming language, it's a
markup language, it doesn't do anything other than describe a
documents.

>If that is called Wait, Delay, Sleep or TimeOut I don't care.
>I have no intention to publish something on the net, I repeat I only
>want to learn the use of some delay.

Most of the time we strive to eliminate delays on the web...

Your original post mentioned a delay of 10 seconds before the music
starts to play. Why not just edit the music track to include 10
seconds of silence at the start?

Steve

WebcastMaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Greetings again to all, included webcastmaster and Neal.
> Should I write a whole letter with my knowledge and my intentions?

Uh-oh... we were singled out, this can't be good...

> Well:
> I wish to learn something.
> That something is HTML and the use of some delay in it.
> If that is called Wait, Delay, Sleep or TimeOut I don't care.
> I have no intention to publish something on the net, I repeat I only
> want to learn the use of some delay. From what I read on the net and
> in my book (yes I hav bought a book) it sometimes isn't possible
> without java.

Didn't someone already answer this?

> (BTW with Flash it's a piece of cake. I learned that from a friend.)

Here's a hint, He lied to you.

Use a sound editor and make 10 second versions of your sounds. That is
the only reliable way to do it.

--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Nico Schuyt

LL wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I'm new in HTML. I wrote this piece but want to play the music only
> after 10 seconds.

Download the free trial of Swish: http://www.swishzone.com/ Very easy to
use.
But, like others already mentioned, unrequested sound is often not
appreciated (and it slows down your site)
--
Nico
www.nicoschuyt.nl