Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Min-Width work around for IE.

Min-Width work around for IE.

James Smith

I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to se ewhat people
use as a work around for IE not being able to understand min-width (CSS).

There seems to be a lot of different solutions out there, and a lot of
people saying they don't work.

Anyone using something there happy with? Preferably in CSS (I noticed
there is a lot of java scripts).

James.

rf

James Smith wrote:

> I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to se ewhat people
> use as a work around for IE not being able to understand min-width (CSS).
>
> There seems to be a lot of different solutions out there, and a lot of
> people saying they don't work.
>
> Anyone using something there happy with? Preferably in CSS (I noticed
> there is a lot of java scripts).

<hack>
Plonk in an image, one pixel high and however wide you want min-width to be.
Yep, the old one pixel transparent gif
</hack>

--
Cheers
Richard.

James Smith

rf wrote:

>James Smith wrote:
>

>>I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to se ewhat people
>>use as a work around for IE not being able to understand min-width (CSS).
>>
>>There seems to be a lot of different solutions out there, and a lot of
>>people saying they don't work.
>>
>>Anyone using something there happy with? Preferably in CSS (I noticed
>>there is a lot of java scripts).
>>

><hack>
>Plonk in an image, one pixel high and however wide you want min-width to be.
>Yep, the old one pixel transparent gif
></hack>

Deserves? "Requires".

Els

rf wrote:

> James Smith wrote:
>
>> I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to
>> se ewhat people use as a work around for IE not being able
>> to understand min-width (CSS).
>>
>> There seems to be a lot of different solutions out there,
>> and a lot of people saying they don't work.
>>
>> Anyone using something there happy with? Preferably in CSS
>> (I noticed there is a lot of java scripts).

> <hack>
> Plonk in an image, one pixel high and however wide you want
> min-width to be. Yep, the old one pixel transparent gif
> </hack>

But the rest of the content of whatever you put the gif in still
gets squashed as if the gif wasn't there... (iirc from the last
time I tried that trick)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:42:25 +1000, James Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to se ewhat people
> use as a work around for IE not being able to understand min-width (CSS).

IE applies width the way it is supposed to apply min-width, so I usually
use something like this:

#blah { width: 20em; }
html>#blah { width: auto; min-width: 20em; }

You could use any other method to hide it from IE, e.g. the Tantek hack.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Els

Mark Parnell wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:42:25 +1000, James Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
>> I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to
>> se ewhat people use as a work around for IE not being able
>> to understand min-width (CSS).

> IE applies width the way it is supposed to apply min-width,

Aren't you confusing width and height here?
Giving IE a min-width by stating width:20em gives an element a
width of 20em (iirc )

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Mark Parnell

On 24 Aug 2004 22:59:54 GMT, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in
alt.html:

> Aren't you confusing width and height here?

I don't think so.

> Giving IE a min-width by stating width:20em gives an element a
> width of 20em (iirc )

It gives it a width of 20em, but IIRC if the content requires more than
20em width IE will automatically expand it. You've got me confused now.
Might have to play with it.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Mark Parnell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:20:57 +0100, Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Aren't you confusing this with the IE min-height hack?

Since both you and Els have said much the same thing, I'm beginning to
think that maybe I am. Ho hum.

> Your solution above does not achieve the desired result.

I almost put something in my post about it just being from memory and
not tested. Maybe I should have.

<hides>

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Spartanicus

Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to se ewhat people
>> use as a work around for IE not being able to understand min-width (CSS).

>IE applies width the way it is supposed to apply min-width, so I usually
>use something like this:
>
>#blah { width: 20em; }
>html>#blah { width: auto; min-width: 20em; }

Aren't you confusing this with the IE min-height hack?

Your solution above does not achieve the desired result.

--
Spartanicus

Leif K-Brooks

James Smith wrote:
> I've just been googleing for a good while now looking to se ewhat people
> use as a work around for IE not being able to understand min-width (CSS).
>
> Anyone using something there happy with? Preferably in CSS (I noticed
> there is a lot of java scripts).

IE7 (<http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/>) seems to do this fine from the
limited use I've put it to, although it uses JavaScript.