Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: XO

OT: XO

Jeff Thies

Hello,

I'm having my first experience with XO as a web hosting company.

Does anyone else have any experience with them?

From a CGI/UNIX perspective, they are rather oddly put together.
CHMOD does not work from FTP as read/write and mount permissions are set
from a control panel.

Jeff

Ken

Hi Jeff -

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:53:10 GMT, Jeff Thies
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm having my first experience with XO as a web hosting company.
>
> Does anyone else have any experience with them?
>
> From a CGI/UNIX perspective, they are rather oddly put together.
>CHMOD does not work from FTP as read/write and mount permissions are set
>from a control panel.

I had my domains hosted there for a number of years. They have (or at
least had) their own proprietary webserver software, so it didn't
matter you may have had experience with, it didn't work the same.

Even so, when it was Concentric it was good. I had direct interaction
with the VP of Technical Servics (or something like that) on more than
one occasion. After they were borged by Nextlink(?) and then XO, it
went dramatically downhill.

They also have gotten quite a bad reputation for allowing spammers.
They have 64 listings on the Spamhaus SBL listing, including a quite a
number of ROKSO spammers. http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

I moved on because I wanted a virtual server rather than virtual
hosting. I had that at Goldvision for a couple years, paying very
little more than I was for the virtual hosting. I've since moved on
to have my own physical server; sitting about five feet away from me.

It's unlikely in the extreme that I would ever go back to virtual
hosting (I love having my own server) but if I ever did, it wouldn't
be at XO.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/

Jeff Thies

Hi Ken,

>> I'm having my first experience with XO as a web hosting company.

<snip>

> I had my domains hosted there for a number of years. They have (or at
> least had) their own proprietary webserver software, so it didn't
> matter you may have had experience with, it didn't work the same.

Hmmm, didn't know the webserver was proprietary, the shell certainly is!

> Even so, when it was Concentric it was good. I had direct interaction
> with the VP of Technical Servics (or something like that) on more than
> one occasion. After they were borged by Nextlink(?) and then XO, it
> went dramatically downhill.
>
> They also have gotten quite a bad reputation for allowing spammers.
> They have 64 listings on the Spamhaus SBL listing, including a quite a
> number of ROKSO spammers. http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

I'm getting a nealy blank page.

> I moved on because I wanted a virtual server rather than virtual
> hosting. I had that at Goldvision for a couple years, paying very
> little more than I was for the virtual hosting. I've since moved on
> to have my own physical server; sitting about five feet away from me.

Wow! Good pipe? Sounds expensive.

> It's unlikely in the extreme that I would ever go back to virtual
> hosting (I love having my own server) but if I ever did, it wouldn't
> be at XO.

Thanks, I got in trouble immediately. A folder got dismounted by
initializing their MySQL utility. What web host does that?!%#@!

Cheers,
Jeff

Ken

Hi Jeff -

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:10:19 GMT, Jeff Thies
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> They also have gotten quite a bad reputation for allowing spammers.
>> They have 64 listings on the Spamhaus SBL listing, including a quite a
>> number of ROKSO spammers. http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

>I'm getting a nealy blank page.

Oops ... they use a POST form so the ISP name is not in the URL. Try
this:
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso?isp=xo.com

Note: you'll need to have cookies enabled. (A security measure to
help prevent automated software from prowling the site.)

>> I moved on because I wanted a virtual server rather than virtual
>> hosting. I had that at Goldvision for a couple years, paying very
>> little more than I was for the virtual hosting. I've since moved on
>> to have my own physical server; sitting about five feet away from me.

>Wow! Good pipe? Sounds expensive.

3M in / 256K out. It's a SOHO business package from Cox
Communications (cable). I'm paying about $40/month more than I was
for their residential high-speed internet, with double the speed,
static IP address, reverse DNS, etc.

I'm in the process of upgrading my firewall PC so that I can get a
second broadband connection, either DSL or wireless. Both are
available here.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/