Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with the Mozilla Firefox Browser

Problem with the Mozilla Firefox Browser

Cogito

On 20 Aug 2004 19:37:13 GMT, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Or use the simple html solution:
>http://locusmeus.com/temp/rtl.html

This last html solution is the one I understand best and it works.
Why does it work well with IE and Opera? Perhaps Firefox is not as
smart?

Thank you very much for the efforts that you have put in.

Els

Cogito wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2004 19:37:13 GMT, Els <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Or use the simple html solution:
>>http://locusmeus.com/temp/rtl.html

> This last html solution is the one I understand best
> and it works. Why does it work well with IE and Opera?
> Perhaps Firefox is not as smart?

Or maybe Firefox is too smart

> Thank you very much for the efforts that you have put in.

You're welcome.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Toby Inkster

Els wrote:
> Cogito wrote:
>
>> This last html solution is the one I understand best
>> and it works. Why does it work well with IE and Opera?
>> Perhaps Firefox is not as smart?

> Or maybe Firefox is too smart

IE is lucky. It is stupid, doesn't try to do the right thing, but somehow
happens to stumble on the right solution anyway.

Firefox is fairly smart. It tries to do the right thing, but fails.

Opera is smart. Opera ASA have recently been trying to crack the Middle
Eastern and Asian markets so bidi support has recently improved in leaps
and bounds. Thus it gets things right.

A good analogy would be leap years.

A stupid calendar implementation just ignores them altogether and when
calculating how many days were in the year 1900, will say 365. It will be
right.

A better calendar implementation says that every 4 years is a leap year,
so it will say there were 366 says in the year 1900. It is a better
algorithm but it will fail in this specific case.

The best calendar implementation says that every 4 years is a leap year
except every 100 years, except again every 400 years. It will calculate
that there were 365 days in the year 1900.

The stupid implementation fails more often than the better implementation,
but there are certain times when it succeeds where the better one fails.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

C A Upsdell

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> A good analogy would be leap years.
>
> A stupid calendar implementation just ignores them altogether and when
> calculating how many days were in the year 1900, will say 365. It will be
> right.
>
> A better calendar implementation says that every 4 years is a leap year,
> so it will say there were 366 says in the year 1900. It is a better
> algorithm but it will fail in this specific case.
>
> The best calendar implementation says that every 4 years is a leap year
> except every 100 years, except again every 400 years. It will calculate
> that there were 365 days in the year 1900.
>
> The stupid implementation fails more often than the better implementation,
> but there are certain times when it succeeds where the better one fails.

And a clock that is broken is perfectly correct twice every day: whereas a
clock that is working is almost never perfectly correct.

WebcastMaker

In article <fDIVc.650$(E-Mail Removed) s.com>,
cupsdell0311XXX@- says...
> And a clock that is broken is perfectly correct twice every day: whereas a
> clock that is working is almost never perfectly correct.

Actually it depends on HOW it is broken. If is is does not function,
then you are correct, however,if it just keeps inaccurate time, then you
are wrong.
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Toby Inkster

WebcastMaker wrote:

> In article <fDIVc.650$(E-Mail Removed) s.com>,
> cupsdell0311XXX@- says...
>> And a clock that is broken is perfectly correct twice every day: whereas a
>> clock that is working is almost never perfectly correct.

> Actually it depends on HOW it is broken. If is is does not function,
> then you are correct, however,if it just keeps inaccurate time, then you
> are wrong.

If it spins around at very high speed it could be perfectly correct a
hundred times per day!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./red_hot_chilli_peppers/californication.ogg

WebcastMaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> >> And a clock that is broken is perfectly correct twice every day: whereas a
> >> clock that is working is almost never perfectly correct.

> > Actually it depends on HOW it is broken. If is is does not function,
> > then you are correct, however,if it just keeps inaccurate time, then you
> > are wrong.

> If it spins around at very high speed it could be perfectly correct a
> hundred times per day!

Which still makes my statement correct.
--
WebcastMaker