Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Html Table to Css div

Html Table to Css div

Jari Lehtinen

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:16:43 +0100, Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jari Lehtinen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It's a shame that currently most browsers doesn't support CSS element
>> display: table-row, table-cell etc.

> Most browsers do, IE doesn't.

That was what I meant.

As in unfortunately IE is still most commonly used browser...

--
Jari Lehtinen
http://www.jarilehtinen.net

Toby Inkster

Spartanicus wrote:
> "Jari Lehtinen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It's a shame that currently most browsers doesn't support CSS element
>>display: table-row, table-cell etc.

> Most browsers do, IE doesn't.

For every browser you can name that does, I bet I can name two that don't.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./semisonic/feeling_strangely_fine/07_completely_pleased.ogg

Sam Hughes

"WD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:WqGdnZwEzdIoC4LcRVn-

> Thank you SO much, absolutely prefect! You [invented] a Genuis!

[edited quote so it made sense]

I am _not_ a prefect and I have _not_ invented a Genuis, whatever that
thing may be.

--
How to make it so visitors can't resize your fonts:
<http://www.rpi.edu/~hughes/www/wise_guy/unresizable_text.html>

Sam Hughes

Toby Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed). uk:

> Spartanicus wrote:
>> "Jari Lehtinen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>It's a shame that currently most browsers doesn't support CSS
>>>element display: table-row, table-cell etc.

>> Most browsers do, IE doesn't.

> For every browser you can name that does, I bet I can name two that
> don't.

Ok.

Match up two browsers for each one of these:

The latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.
The second-latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.
The third-latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.
The thousandth-latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.

The latest nightly build of Mozilla for Linux.

....Phoenix, Windows.
....Phoenix, Linux.

....*, *nix
....*, *nux
....*, *SD

--

Sam Hughes wrote:

> Match up two browsers for each one of these:
>
> The latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.
> The second-latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.

I didn't say browser *versions*. I said browsers.

And if you want to play that game there's plenty of scope for nightly
builds of Konqueror, Lynx, Dillo, Nautilus, etc...

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Sam Hughes

Toby Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk:

> Sam Hughes wrote:
>
>> Match up two browsers for each one of these:
>>
>> The latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.
>> The second-latest nightly build of Mozilla for Windows.

> I didn't say browser *versions*. I said browsers.

Well "browsers" can mean many things to and by different people.

It can refer to installations of browsers, so that the statement, "More
browsers are named Internet Explorer than any other name," would be
true.

It can refer to various browser products, which you now say is what you
mean. "Most browsers do not understand CSS" would be true in that
regard.

And of course, you could twist that meaning to mean that each _build_
is a different browser. And going by that logic even further, every
separate _configuration_ represents a different browser. :O

Of course, all Web browsers are just convoluted algorithms. What if I
gradually change Mozilla so that every aspect is done using an
algorithm that is different in some respect. Is the browser still a
Mozilla browser?

--
How to make it so visitors can't resize your fonts:
<http://www.rpi.edu/~hughes/www/wise_guy/unresizable_text.html>

WebcastMaker

In article <Xns9546B3D10D9D5hughesrpiedu@130.133.1.4>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> > I didn't say browser *versions*. I said browsers.

> Well "browsers" can mean many things to and by different people.

Nope, got to go with Toby on this one. It was completely apparent what
Browser was supposed to mean.
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Sam Hughes

WebcastMaker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9546B3D10D9D5hughesrpiedu@130.133.1.4>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > I didn't say browser *versions*. I said browsers.

>> Well "browsers" can mean many things to and by different people.

> Nope, got to go with Toby on this one. It was completely apparent
> what Browser was supposed to mean.

Hello, we stopped talking seriously about five posts up the thread.

--
How to make it so visitors can't resize your fonts:
<http://www.rpi.edu/~hughes/www/wise_guy/unresizable_text.html>

WebcastMaker

In article <Xns9546DE2888D4Fhughesrpiedu@130.133.1.4>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> >> Well "browsers" can mean many things to and by different people.

> > Nope, got to go with Toby on this one. It was completely apparent
> > what Browser was supposed to mean.

> Hello, we stopped talking seriously about five posts up the thread.

ya think?
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

DU

WD wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been try to convert an html table to div(s), but i can't seem to
> keep the same look? Here's the table:

> border=0>

You want the content of the table to be centered or you want the table
itself to be centered within its parent? This is important to know if
you're going to use CSS.

> <tbody>
> border=0>

From the beginning, you've over-constrained your tables. So, there can
not be any solution to the code you provided.
The nested table width should have been 162; best was to leave the width
undefined and then let the normal flow of data prevail.

> <tbody>
> </tbody>
> </tbody>

The solution to your problem can be extremely simple if we know
precisely what you want to begin with. Here, a simple centered paragraph
and a centered unnumbered list would be an appropriate way to render a
list of links.

DU