Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

Spartanicus

Peter Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I should add that I didn't explain the Mozilla behaviour quite
>correctly -- I shouldn't have relied on an old memory -- it retains
>the LINK colour as long as you remain on that page. If you exit and
>return, it displays the correct LINK and VLINK colours, as one would
>expect them. While Mozilla doesn't behave correctly until an exit and
>return, at least it is behaving close to what it should and it is
>generally consistent between internal and external references. IE 6
>is more of a problem.

Opera behaves properly with regard to marking internal links visited.

--
Spartanicus

Peter Charles

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:55:30 +0100, Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Peter Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I should add that I didn't explain the Mozilla behaviour quite
>>correctly -- I shouldn't have relied on an old memory -- it retains
>>the LINK colour as long as you remain on that page. If you exit and
>>return, it displays the correct LINK and VLINK colours, as one would
>>expect them. While Mozilla doesn't behave correctly until an exit and
>>return, at least it is behaving close to what it should and it is
>>generally consistent between internal and external references. IE 6
>>is more of a problem.

>Opera behaves properly with regard to marking internal links visited.

When I made my first post, I was under the impresion that it had been
some sort of error or ommission on my part but it turns out to be one
of those irritating browser dependent issues that we can do little
about.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Peter Charles

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:26:13 +0100, Dylan Parry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Spake Peter Charles unto thee:
>
>> OK, got it. So I'm stuck with this beahviour -- no problem -- I was
>> just looking to have it behave consistently but your explanation ices
>> it.

>No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
>exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers treat
>it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good idea if
>browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but whether
>others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely

You'll have my vote.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dylan Parry
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news(E-Mail Removed) :

> No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
> exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers
> treat it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good
> idea if browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but
> whether others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely

I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome in
the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as the
questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same page, as
sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having to go back to
the other questions first.

--
Adrienne Boswell

Dan Abrey

"Peter Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
> same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
> not so the internal references.
>
> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
> a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
> the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
> never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
> colour will never appear again on that computer.
>
> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
> returns to its proper colour.

Couldn't you just set the a:visited attributes to the same as your link
attributes so that it doesn't change at all?

Peter Charles

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:28:18 +0100, "Dan Abrey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Peter Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
>> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
>> same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
>> not so the internal references.
>>
>> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
>> a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
>> the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
>> never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
>> colour will never appear again on that computer.
>>
>> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
>> returns to its proper colour.

>Couldn't you just set the a:visited attributes to the same as your link
>attributes so that it doesn't change at all?

Yes I could, but I see that as a work-around, not a solution. Judging
by the other replies, I intend to leave it as-is and let the various
browsers do with it as they will. If I was God of the Browsers, I'd
mandate a solution but that ain't gonna happen so . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Mark Parnell

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:26:52 GMT, Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome in
> the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as the
> questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same page, as
> sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having to go back to
> the other questions first.

In a situation like that, you haven't actually followed the links, but
you _have_ read the questions. Would you still expect the browser to
mark them as visited, or not?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Nick Theodorakis

wrote:

>Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dylan Parry
><(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
>news(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
>> No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
>> exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers
>> treat it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good
>> idea if browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but
>> whether others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely
>>

>I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome in
>the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as the
>questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same page, as
>sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having to go back to
>the other questions first.

I can never decide what the "correct" behavior ought to be. What I
really want is for the browser to read my mind and mark internal links
links as unvisited when I want them to be and visited when it's more
useful to be.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
contact form:

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mark Parnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:26:52 GMT, Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)>
> declared in alt.html:
>
>> I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome
>> in the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as
>> the questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same
>> page, as sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having
>> to go back to the other questions first.

> In a situation like that, you haven't actually followed the links, but
> you _have_ read the questions. Would you still expect the browser to
> mark them as visited, or not?

No, but once I have returned to the top of the document, I would at least
like to have a vague idea of where I was. If only one of the links is
marked visited, I have an idea of where I was. If all of them are, then
its hit and miss again.

For IE, say there are 20 questions and 20 answers. Once you click on a
link, and refresh or go to another URL, and come back, all the links are
visited. This does not happen in Opera, or Mozilla. I set up some test
documents at http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/usenet/vlink.asp

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Spartanicus

Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For IE, say there are 20 questions and 20 answers. Once you click on a
>link, and refresh or go to another URL, and come back, all the links are
>visited. This does not happen in Opera, or Mozilla. I set up some test
>documents at http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/usenet/vlink.asp

Mozilla doesn't handle this properly though:
http://www.pan-europe.utvinternet.ie...chedule_km.htm
Click one of the "kilometer reading" links. Only Opera handles this
correctly.

--
Spartanicus

Cisco switch behave like an hub Moti.Ba@gmail.com Cisco 6 02-26-2010 11:35 AM
printer colours vs 'real' colours dido22 Digital Photography 4 06-15-2007 03:37 PM
VLINK Image? Knute Johnson Javascript 2 04-06-2004 08:35 PM
Do threads behave Differently on Windows 98? Codemonkey ASP .Net 1 10-30-2003 04:16 AM
read(STDIN, $GN_QUERY, 100); doesn't behave on Windows IIS Joe Burnett Perl 0 09-07-2003 12:11 PM

Advertisments