Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to prevent people from saving a whole web page?

how to prevent people from saving a whole web page?

paul

Hi Everybody!

Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
Internet Explorer?

For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
..mht)

Does anyone succeed in saving it?
if yes, how? if not, why?

Thanks for your help,

Paul.

Neal

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:43:20 +0200, paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi Everybody!
>
> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
> Internet Explorer?
>
> For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
> is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
> .mht)
>
> Does anyone succeed in saving it?
> if yes, how? if not, why?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Paul.

Don't know about IE, but I easily viewed the source in Opera. I suspect
Mozilla would be no more of a challenge.

No reason to try this, it won't succeed universally.

T. Audry Glamour

In article <411b8ff8$0$7248$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
> Internet Explorer?

Either don't put it on the web or make it so crappy no one would want
to save it. But in either case it wouldn't apply just to IE...

> For example, this page http://insérez.les/ordures/ici (obfuscated by me)
> is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
> .mht)

Peut-être c'est une manière d'annoncer votre emplacement sans
apparaître à ? Comment dites-vous le Spam en français ? (Thanks
babelfish...)

Audry

--
tawdry glamour who is at smile global dot com

Karl Groves

"paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:411b8ff8$0$7248$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Everybody!
>
> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page

Don't put it on the web.
HTH!

--
Karl Core

Link of the day: http://216.127.86.74/dubyaresume.com/

http://www.karlcore.com
http://www.usabilityinfo.com
http://www.murderthestupid.com

Jeffrey Silverman

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:43:20 +0200, paul wrote:

> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
> Internet Explorer?
>
> For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
> is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
> .mht)

I had no trouble saving it!!

Others have answered your question reliably; here is my $0.02 anyways...

The simple answer: it can't be done. At least not on the web. You will
*always* have access to the HTML source of *any* web page you get from the
web. Using IE-specific hacks or Javascript hacks to prevent someone from
seeing and or saving the HTML source will never truly work. period.

The web is a public interface. everything that gets to your computer from
the web is savable somehow. everything. even transient things like
streaming audio.

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) **
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

(** Drop "pants" to reply by email)

Dave Patton

"paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:411b8ff8$0$7248$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi Everybody!
>
> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
> Internet Explorer?
>
> For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
> is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
> .mht)
>
> Does anyone succeed in saving it?
> if yes, how? if not, why?

There is an IE bug(feature?), perhaps triggered by
an IE Service Pack, or Windows update, that some people
seem to think resolves the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235589
but it didn't fix it on my Win2K PC.

Using your example page above, I get the
"Unable to save page to the selected location" error.

Using http://www.allmusic.com/ IE also won't save the
page, but the eror is slightly different:
"This Web page could not be saved"

Of course Mozilla Firefox had no problem saving
either page

The error message and symptoms vary - with the allmusic
page, I can save the page as plain html, text, or archive,
but the cyberzoide.developpez.com page I cannot save
as either archive or complete web page.

A google search(web or groups) will show lots of people
have this problem, but no solutions that I could see,
but then I don't use IE for any "real work", so I don't
really care if it gets fixed on my PC

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Jeff Thies

paul wrote:
> Hi Everybody!
>
> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
> Internet Explorer?

Unlike everyone else I have seen this done.

Use a broken character encoding. This will make the page viewable in IE6
but not saveable. The page may not be viewable in other browsers.

Typically that's a problem you would want to solve rather than create!

Jeff

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:43:20 +0200, paul <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in
alt.html:

http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

data64

Jeff Thies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:WlOSc.22491$Jp6.8614
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> paul wrote:
>> Hi Everybody!
>>
>> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
>> Internet Explorer?

> Unlike everyone else I have seen this done.
>
> Use a broken character encoding. This will make the page viewable in IE6
> but not saveable. The page may not be viewable in other browsers.
>
> Typically that's a problem you would want to solve rather than create!
>
> Jeff

Wouldn't wget still fetch the page and save it locally ?

Wget is commandline utility available on most *nix platforms.
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/public/CO...et_1.html#SEC1

data64