Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Background Image Question

Background Image Question

Chuck

I am using css and have a question about the background.

The page in question is located at http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
( I know... GC crap)

Here is the background line in my css file:

BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }

I made the background in Photoshop. What I would like is to set the image
where the checkers on the right side are gone. In other words, I would like
1 set of checkers on the left, then the gray to the right without the other
checkers.

I would also like to tile the image to the bottom of the page.

Is this improper HTML or is this a Photoshop problem? If it is HTML, can
someone give me a hand or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance...

Chuck

---

oo-

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%qrSc.4082$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am using css and have a question about the background.
>
> The page in question is located at http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
> ( I know... GC crap)
>
> Here is the background line in my css file:
>

> BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }
>
> <snip />

you're so nearly there try

BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed; }

with this code you can actually make the image smaller as less of it is
needed.

hope that helps

Phil
http://www.doubleonegative.com/

Chuck

"oo-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:411a49e6$0$20244$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%qrSc.4082$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I am using css and have a question about the background.
> >
> > The page in question is located at

http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
> > ( I know... GC crap)
> >
> > Here is the background line in my css file:
> >

> > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }
> >
> > <snip />

> you're so nearly there try
>
> BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed; }
>
> with this code you can actually make the image smaller as less of it is
> needed.
>

> hope that helps

Well...

That got rid of the 2nd set of checkers, but... now the area where the 2nd
set of checkers was located is now all white background.

I went in and set the background color to #ECECEC which is the same shade of
gray as the image, but I am sure that's not the proper way to fix the
problem.

Also, by doing this, the image is still only the original height (?). On my
monitor, it only covers about 1/4 of the screen instead of the whole screen.

Do I need to go in and set image size on the background?

Thanks again...

Chuck

---

oo-

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHsSc.4093$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> "oo-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:411a49e6$0$20244$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%qrSc.4082$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > I am using css and have a question about the background.
> > >
> > > The page in question is located at

> http://www.geocities.com/nascarchuck8/
> > > ( I know... GC crap)
> > >
> > > Here is the background line in my css file:
> > >

> > > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') fixed; }
> > >
> > > <snip />

> > you're so nearly there try
> >
> > BODY { background: white url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed; }
> >
> > with this code you can actually make the image smaller as less of it is
> > needed.
> >

> > hope that helps

> Well...
>
> That got rid of the 2nd set of checkers, but... now the area where the 2nd
> set of checkers was located is now all white background.
>
> I went in and set the background color to #ECECEC which is the same shade

of
> gray as the image, but I am sure that's not the proper way to fix the
> problem.

no thats right if you want the background to be that color then set it to
that color.

> Also, by doing this, the image is still only the original height (?). On

my
> monitor, it only covers about 1/4 of the screen instead of the whole

screen.

> Do I need to go in and set image size on the background?

it may help to set the height (or min-height) of the body e.g.
body{
height: 100%;
background: #ECECEC url('checkback.jpg') repeat-y fixed;
}

Chuck

Hey Phil...

Fixed the problem...

I screwed up when saving the image in Photoshop. I forgot to crop the image
properly.

Your advice on "repeat-y" helped though...

Thanks again...

Chuck

---