Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Resize Window

Resize Window

James Smith

Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser window.

James.

Karl Groves

"James Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41189838$0$18669$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
> want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser

window.

Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
they'll change it themselves

-Karl

James Smith

If I wanted to know that I would have asked.

I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

Did I ask for an Opinion.?

J.

Karl Groves wrote:

>"James Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:41189838$0$18669$(E-Mail Removed). au...
>

>>Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
>>want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
>>

>window.
>
>Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
>they'll change it themselves
>
>-Karl

SpaceGirl

James Smith wrote:

>>> Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
>>> want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
>>>

>> Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
>> they'll change it themselves
>>
>> -Karl

> If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
>
> I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
>
> Did I ask for an Opinion.?
>
> J.

Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have JS
turned on it wont work.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

James Smith

SpaceGirl wrote:

>>> Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
>>> they'll change it themselves
>>>
>>> -Karl

> > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
> >
> > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
> >
> > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
> >
> > J.

> Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
> arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
> gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.
>
> ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
> google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
> JS turned on it wont work.

Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
on. if they miss out on seeing it that way, that' fine. But at least I
tried

J.

Karl Groves

"James Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4118b1ef$0$18672$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> Karl Groves wrote:
>
> >"James Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:41189838$0$18669$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> >

> >>Is there a way to resize a window every time a certain page is show. I
> >>want people to only be able to see a certain page in a small browser
> >>

> >window.
> >
> >Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
> >they'll change it themselves
> >
> >-Karl
> >

> If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
>
> I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.

If you want to make things "easier" then stop ****ing with the user's
preference.

-Karl

Karl Groves

"James Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4118bdf5$0$25458$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> SpaceGirl wrote:

> > ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
> > google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
> > JS turned on it wont work.
> >

> Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
> on.

What difference would it make if they have java turned on or off? Spacegirl
was talking about javascript.

-Karl

Karl Groves

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Leave the user's browser alone. If they want a different sized window,
> >> they'll change it themselves
> >>
> >> -Karl

> > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
> >
> > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
> >
> > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
> >
> > J.

> Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
> arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
> gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.

You're funny. My work next to people with PhDs in Human Factors Engineering
on websites for 60 gov't agencies and Fortune 100 companies.
You build "fan sites". You might be a good programmer and graphic designer,
but you know ****all about usability.

If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
browser window.

-Karl

SpaceGirl

Karl Groves wrote:
> "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > If I wanted to know that I would have asked.
>> >
>> > I want to make it easier for them to read a help section.
>> >
>> > Did I ask for an Opinion.?
>> >
>> > J.

>>Dont let it get to you. Most people on usenet see too far up their own
>>arses to actually be able to think for themselves. Short sighted. I'm
>>gobsmacked that some of these people claim to be web designers.
>>

> You're funny.

yay

Since when has PHDs or Degrees meant **** all in the real world?

> You build "fan sites". You might be a good programmer and graphic designer,
> but you know ****all about usability.

Actually I know a lot about it... I design front ends for people like
AXA, Coke and Kwik-Fit. The fan site stuff is the freelance I do on the
side (I enjoy having a bit of creative freedom).

> If you want to supply the OP a technical answer to their question, go right
> ahead. But don't act like it is bad of me to mention to him the fact that it
> is nothing short of abusing his visitor to go screwing around with their
> browser window.

That would be hist choice, not yours. If you were going to **** on him,
you might have at least answered the question at the same time.

Your ARE right... I'd never dream of resizing a window on on any of my
clients sites (Coke or a fan site). But that wasn't what the OP asked
now was it...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

PeterMcC

James Smith wrote in
<4118bdf5$0$25458$(E-Mail Removed)>

> SpaceGirl wrote:
>
>> James Smith wrote:
>>

>> ANYWAY... yes you can resize a window, but only via javascript. Do a
>> google for it. It works fine, but for the X % of people who dont have
>> JS turned on it wont work.
>>

> Ok, thanks. yeah, it doesn't bother me if they don't have java turned
> on. if they miss out on seeing it that way, that' fine. But at least I
> tried

Just a small point - please excuse my mentioning of it if it's outside the
range of acceptable comment - it's JavaScript, not Java. You may well be
aware of the difference and it was perhaps a typo above but it might cause
confusion later on if you referred to one and meant the other.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,