Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > writing out data to a text file from a HTML form

Reply
Thread Tools

writing out data to a text file from a HTML form

 
 
Ron Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2004

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Ron Smith wrote:
> > Toby Inkster wrote:
> >
> >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/form
> >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src
> >>
> >> I did forget to mention one particular gotcha though -- your web host

has
> >> to support server-side scripting in some language.

> >
> > I downloaded and installed an Apache webserver, with PHP.

>
> You do realise that PHP needs to be installed on your web server, not on
> your desktop computer? (Though for some people, like me, your desktop
> computer *is* your web server!)


I have a program called XAMPP for Windows (webserver) with PHP - both are
running as a local host on my desktop. I need to figure out how to run the
HTML file through XAMPP. XAMPP has a status screen that tells me it is
running, and PHP can be interpreted.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sam Hughes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2004
"Ron Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>
> "Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Ron Smith wrote:
>> > Toby Inkster wrote:
>> >
>> >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/form
>> >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src
>> >>
>> >> I did forget to mention one particular gotcha though -- your web
>> >> host

> has
>> >> to support server-side scripting in some language.
>> >
>> > I downloaded and installed an Apache webserver, with PHP.

>>
>> You do realise that PHP needs to be installed on your web server, not
>> on your desktop computer? (Though for some people, like me, your
>> desktop computer *is* your web server!)

>
> I have a program called XAMPP for Windows (webserver) with PHP - both
> are running as a local host on my desktop. I need to figure out how
> to run the HTML file through XAMPP. XAMPP has a status screen that
> tells me it is running, and PHP can be interpreted.


In your address bar, type in "localhost" or "127.0.0.1".



--
In a room with thirty-seven people, never have everybody shake each
other's hand.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2004

"Sam Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns953FC72E6360Ehughesrpiedu@130.133.1.4...
> "Ron Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> >
> > "Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >> Ron Smith wrote:
> >> > Toby Inkster wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/form
> >> >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src
> >> >>
> >> >> I did forget to mention one particular gotcha though -- your web
> >> >> host

> > has
> >> >> to support server-side scripting in some language.
> >> >
> >> > I downloaded and installed an Apache webserver, with PHP.
> >>
> >> You do realise that PHP needs to be installed on your web server, not
> >> on your desktop computer? (Though for some people, like me, your
> >> desktop computer *is* your web server!)

> >
> > I have a program called XAMPP for Windows (webserver) with PHP - both
> > are running as a local host on my desktop. I need to figure out how
> > to run the HTML file through XAMPP. XAMPP has a status screen that
> > tells me it is running, and PHP can be interpreted.

>
> In your address bar, type in "localhost" or "127.0.0.1".
>

When I do that, I am able to run XAMPP as a local host. I can input my
values in the form, but the values are not being interpreted by the PHP
file. I guess I am confused with how PHP files are called from an HTML
file. I couldn't find any reference to the handler-src PHP file in the file
form.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2004
Ron Smith wrote:

> I couldn't find any reference to the handler-src PHP file in the file
> form.html


As I said...

| This file <http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src> is a red
| herring -- the real engine is at
| <http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler> but you won't be able to
| see it, because the actual PHP code that does the work never gets sent
| to the browser. That's why I put a highlighted *copy* of the source code
| at <http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src>
|
| The form's "action" attribute should point to the handler.php file.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2004

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Ron Smith wrote:
>
> > I couldn't find any reference to the handler-src PHP file in the file
> > form.html

>
> As I said...
>
> | This file <http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src> is a red
> | herring -- the real engine is at
> | <http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler> but you won't be able to
> | see it, because the actual PHP code that does the work never gets sent
> | to the browser. That's why I put a highlighted *copy* of the source code
> | at <http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/cad/handler-src>
> |
> | The form's "action" attribute should point to the handler.php file.
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
>

Thanks Toby. I got confused on the handler-src filename.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTML File Upload using enctype=multipart/form-data in form? Matt Java 8 05-26-2012 07:40 AM
ASP.NET form action file - writing to text file icedragon ASP .Net 0 07-13-2010 01:48 PM
Any problems with writing the information into a file - Multi-users perform writing the same file at the same time ???? HNguyen ASP .Net 4 12-21-2004 01:53 PM
HTML File Upload using enctype=multipart/form-data in form? Matt HTML 1 10-12-2004 08:17 PM
Reading a DOS text file and writing out Mac jennyw Python 0 07-11-2003 04:57 PM



Advertisments