Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > thank you sam - the table man

thank you sam - the table man

WindAndWaves

Hi gurus

I often work with tables and I found that I am confused on where I should be
placing the following elements:

width
height
valign

could I put all of them in the TD tag and leave the TABLE and TR tag blank?

Thank you

Nicolaas

Webcastmaker

In article <kKXQc.10001$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I often work with tables and I found that I am confused on where I should be
> placing the following elements:
> width
> height
> valign
> could I put all of them in the TD tag and leave the TABLE and TR tag blank?

Well ignoring the naming issues, the answer is none of the above.
Use CSS
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

WindAndWaves

Dear WebcastMaker

There are two reasons that I put it in the html:

1. browsers that do not support css can still read it and make sense of
things (or in case for some reason the css does not load properly).

2. it is easier to edit the pages if you know in the html how big the cells
are and the like, it is this ease of editing that I use more than anything
(my sites are completely database driven - but someone still has to write
the templates).

Thank you. still keen to find out the answer.

The Doormouse

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> width
> height
> valign

Height does not belong in tables. Check out the specs and validate your
designs ...

The Doormouse

WindAndWaves

so how do you specify a table to have a certain height????

can you use <TD HEIGHT=20>? or <TR HEIGHT=20>???

The Doormouse

"WindAndWaves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> so how do you specify a table to have a certain height????
>
> can you use <TD HEIGHT=20>? or <TR HEIGHT=20>???

No, you don't specify it. At best, you could put a spacer GIF in there
somewhere. Or, use CSS to specify it.

The Doormouse

WindAndWaves

Sorry to bother Doormouse, but why don't you specify it, is there any
specific reason for that?

rf

[crosspost removed, not on my server]

WindAndWaves wrote

Please quote a little of the post to which you are replying. It makes it far
easier to follow the conversation.

> Sorry to bother Doormouse, but why don't you specify it, is there any
> specific reason for that?

Width and Height for table cells has been deprecated in favour of CSS. Width
and height is a presentational issue and presentational issues should be
handled with CSS.

Since these attributes have been deprecated they are not supported by the
strict DTD so your page will not validate to strict if you use them.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/ta...adef-height-TH
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/ta...#adef-width-TH
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html

--
Cheers
Richard.

Hywel

In article <srYQc.10033$(E-Mail Removed)>, WindAndWaves
says...
> so how do you specify a table to have a certain height????
>
> can you use <TD HEIGHT=20>? or <TR HEIGHT=20>???

Are you replying to something? This will help

Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

Webcastmaker

In article <kYXQc.10008$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> There are two reasons that I put it in the html:

Both reasons are invalid.

> Thank you. still keen to find out the answer.

You have your answer. Notice how everyone gave your the same answer?
Use CSS. You just don't like the answer.

--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com