Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > using non-system fonts in pages

using non-system fonts in pages

C A Upsdell

"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4fxQc.521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use a non-system font in a web page, and have it seen by
> visitors? I'd like to use a typewriter-like font for some text, so if
> someone who doesn't have that font reads it, will it just be in their
> default font? How can I make the visitor display the typewriter font

instead
> of the default? Obviously I can see the alternative font because I have
> installed it. I just wonder whether anyone else can?

Use CSS like:

font-family:"Courier New", Courier, monospace;

if you have another preferred font, put its name at the front of the list.

Sam Hughes

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:9AwQc.87$(E-Mail Removed) ers.com:

> "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4fxQc.521$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to use a non-system font in a web page, and have it
>> seen by visitors? I'd like to use a typewriter-like font for some
>> text, so if someone who doesn't have that font reads it, will it just
>> be in their default font? How can I make the visitor display the
>> typewriter font

> instead
>> of the default? Obviously I can see the alternative font because I
>> have installed it. I just wonder whether anyone else can?

> Use CSS like:
>
> font-family:"Courier New", Courier, monospace;
>
> if you have another preferred font, put its name at the front of the
> list.

Explanation: In CSS, monospace is not a font name itself; it refers to
the browser's default monospace font. So if the browser understands this
CSS (which nearly all browsers do, counting by percentage of users),
_some_ type of monospaced font will be rendered.

--
Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
the others are remembered and avoided forever.

Matthias Gutfeldt

mentalguy2004 schrieb:
> So, for instance, if I use CSS and include "font-family:"Typewriter" ,
> would you be able to see the text using this font if you don't actually have
> the font on your system?

No.

Matthias

John McGaw

"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news_xQc.551$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, guys. What I'm getting at is, I downloaded a typewriter-like font
> (so it's not actually a Windows-included font), so *I* have the font, but

my
> visitors don't. So when I load the page, *I* can see the typewriter font,
> but can someone else who *doesn't* have the font see it, or does it just
> revert to their default?
>
> So, for instance, if I use CSS and include "font-family:"Typewriter" ,
> would you be able to see the text using this font if you don't actually

have
> the font on your system?
>
> "Sam Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:9AwQc.87$(E-Mail Removed) ers.com:
> >
> > > "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:4fxQc.521$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > instead
> > >
> > > Use CSS like:
> > >
> > > font-family:"Courier New", Courier, monospace;
> > >
> > > if you have another preferred font, put its name at the front of the
> > > list.

> > Explanation: In CSS, monospace is not a font name itself; it refers to
> > the browser's default monospace font. So if the browser understands

this
> > CSS (which nearly all browsers do, counting by percentage of users),
> > _some_ type of monospaced font will be rendered.
> >
> > --
> > Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
> > the others are remembered and avoided forever.

If you want to be ABSOLUTELY (well relatively absolutely) sure that the
viewers can see exactly what you intend no matter what fonts are installed
on their system then you will probably have to create the text as an image
and insert that. There seem to have been some attempts at embedding fonts
into pages but it was never well supported and now looks like a dead issue.
Of course there is still the problem of text-only browsers which won't see
any of it no matter what you do...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

mentalguy2004

Hi,

Is it possible to use a non-system font in a web page, and have it seen by
visitors? I'd like to use a typewriter-like font for some text, so if
someone who doesn't have that font reads it, will it just be in their
default font? How can I make the visitor display the typewriter font instead
of the default? Obviously I can see the alternative font because I have
installed it. I just wonder whether anyone else can?

thanks.

Sam Hughes

"John McGaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:7dxQc.1641$(E-Mail Removed):

> If you want to be ABSOLUTELY (well relatively absolutely) sure that
> the viewers can see exactly what you intend no matter what fonts are
> installed on their system then you will probably have to create the
> text as an image and insert that. There seem to have been some
> attempts at embedding fonts into pages but it was never well supported
> and now looks like a dead issue. Of course there is still the problem
> of text-only browsers which won't see any of it no matter what you
> do...

Oh and bandwidth. And resizing.

--
Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
the others are remembered and avoided forever.

Neal

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:07:28 GMT, mentalguy2004 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, thanks a lot everyone, for your quick and helpful answers. I needed
> use the font on a page with updating text, so using jpg's isn't really an
> option except for the static stuff. Courier it is then!
>
> thanks again, much appreciated.

Be sure you ask for something like {font-family:"Courier New", Courier,
monospace;} or the browser won't know to replace it with a monospace if
the font isn't present...

Sam Hughes

"mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:AcyQc.564$(E-Mail Removed):

> OK, thanks a lot everyone, for your quick and helpful answers. I
> needed to use the font on a page with updating text, so using jpg's
> isn't really an option except for the static stuff. Courier it is
> then!

No, don't use jpg's for the static stuff either. Images should be images,
links should be links, and text should be text.

Using images of text is basically a terrible thing.

--
Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
the others are remembered and avoided forever.

mentalguy2004

Thanks, guys. What I'm getting at is, I downloaded a typewriter-like font
(so it's not actually a Windows-included font), so *I* have the font, but my
visitors don't. So when I load the page, *I* can see the typewriter font,
but can someone else who *doesn't* have the font see it, or does it just
revert to their default?

So, for instance, if I use CSS and include "font-family:"Typewriter" ,
would you be able to see the text using this font if you don't actually have
the font on your system?

"Sam Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:9AwQc.87$(E-Mail Removed) ers.com:
>
> > "mentalguy2004" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:4fxQc.521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is it possible to use a non-system font in a web page, and have it
> >> seen by visitors? I'd like to use a typewriter-like font for some
> >> text, so if someone who doesn't have that font reads it, will it just
> >> be in their default font? How can I make the visitor display the
> >> typewriter font

> > instead
> >> of the default? Obviously I can see the alternative font because I
> >> have installed it. I just wonder whether anyone else can?

> > Use CSS like:
> >
> > font-family:"Courier New", Courier, monospace;
> >
> > if you have another preferred font, put its name at the front of the
> > list.

> Explanation: In CSS, monospace is not a font name itself; it refers to
> the browser's default monospace font. So if the browser understands this
> CSS (which nearly all browsers do, counting by percentage of users),
> _some_ type of monospaced font will be rendered.
>
> --
> Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
> the others are remembered and avoided forever.

mentalguy2004

OK, thanks a lot everyone, for your quick and helpful answers. I needed to

> "John McGaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:7dxQc.1641$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > If you want to be ABSOLUTELY (well relatively absolutely) sure that
> > the viewers can see exactly what you intend no matter what fonts are
> > installed on their system then you will probably have to create the
> > text as an image and insert that. There seem to have been some
> > attempts at embedding fonts into pages but it was never well supported
> > and now looks like a dead issue. Of course there is still the problem
> > of text-only browsers which won't see any of it no matter what you
> > do...

> Oh and bandwidth. And resizing.
>
> --
> Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
> the others are remembered and avoided forever.

Fonts suddenly unreadable in IE 6.0 - All other system fonts appear normal Emily Computer Support 3 06-09-2005 04:52 AM
Re: Fonts in Pages brucie HTML 3 07-08-2004 02:16 PM
Re: Fonts in Pages Steve Pugh HTML 1 07-08-2004 01:21 PM
Re: Fonts in Pages SpaceGirl HTML 1 07-08-2004 12:09 PM
asp fonts problems (chinese fonts become ??????) sam ASP General 0 06-06-2004 06:15 AM

Advertisments