Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Database Results Riddle

Database Results Riddle

magmike

We are discussing www.netterweb.com/articles/

Upon visiting this page, hitting the "Search" link, and then using a
keyword, such as "travel", to search, then clicking on a link to view the
article, database results are shown. However, within the text, when a link
is displayed, it is not active, and when copied over to Word, or an email,
the links do not become active.

My users have complained about this, yet I do not know how to ensure that
links within the fields become active when displayed within a "memo" field
in HTML results.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Andrew Urquhart

*magmike* wrote:
> We are discussing www.netterweb.com/articles/
>
> Upon visiting this page, hitting the "Search" link, and then using a
> keyword, such as "travel", to search, then clicking on a link to view
> the article, database results are shown. However, within the text,
> when a link is displayed, it is not active, and when copied over to
> Word, or an email, the links do not become active.

Help us to help you, please post a direct link to a page exhibiting the
problem - I got lost at the end of your directions and didn't find an
example of the problem you're describing.
--
Andrew Urquhart
- Alt.HTML FAQ: www.html-faq.com

nice.guy.nige

[follow-up set to news:alt.html]

While the city slept, magmike (mike.kline@***nospam***netterweb.com)
feverishly typed...

> We are discussing www.netterweb.com/articles/

May be better if we discuss http://www.netterweb.com/articles/ as some
newsreaders won't render an address as a link without the protocol being
specified.

> Upon visiting this page, hitting the "Search" link, and then using a
> keyword, such as "travel", to search, then clicking on a link to view
> the article, database results are shown. However, within the text,
> when a link is displayed, it is not active

[...]

Not sure what problem you are having here. I followed your instructions, and
links (eg, "Editor Email", "Info Link") are indeed active links. Maybe you
would care to elaborate further?

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]

Mike:
One way to do this is to put the content of the Memo field in as HTML in
your database, and then in FrontPage, right-click on the field in Normal
View and check the box that says "column contains HTML".

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

magmike <mike.kline@***nospam***netterweb.com> wrote:
> We are discussing www.netterweb.com/articles/
>
> Upon visiting this page, hitting the "Search" link, and then using a
> keyword, such as "travel", to search, then clicking on a link to view
> the article, database results are shown. However, within the text,
> when a link is displayed, it is not active, and when copied over to
> Word, or an email, the links do not become active.
>
> My users have complained about this, yet I do not know how to ensure
> that links within the fields become active when displayed within a
> "memo" field in HTML results.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

magmike

> One way to do this is to put the content of the Memo field in as HTML in
> your database

How do I do this when using Access? The title of the field, by the way, is
"article" and it is set as a "memo" field.

Mike

magmike

> Help us to help you, please post a direct link to a page exhibiting the
> problem....<blabber snipped>

direct link: http://www.netterweb.com/articles/fu...ng.asp?ID=3592

In the "article" section, and in the "reference box" section, there are very
often links mingled in with the text. As you will see in this example, the
links do not display active.

magmike

> Not sure what problem you are having here. I followed your instructions,
and
> links (eg, "Editor Email", "Info Link") are indeed active links. Maybe you
> would care to elaborate further?

If you were viewing "editor email" links, you were looking in the wrong
database (and did not follow my directions very well). My article listings
are in question here. The field in which users paste in their cleverly
crafted (and some not-so-clevely-crafted) article text, is simply titled,
[article]. When the database results generate on the web page, web site
links and email links within the text are not active. I would like to
rectify that.

Direct link to example:
http://www.netterweb.com/articles/fu...ng.asp?ID=3592

> While the city slept, magmike (mike.kline@***nospam***netterweb.com)
> feverishly typed...

7:30 AM (EST) is hardly city sleeping time - unless you are a vampire.
[wink]

> May be better if we discuss http://www.netterweb.com/articles/ as some
> newsreaders won't render an address as a link without the protocol being

Picky, picky. If you aren't smart enough to figure the link out, you
probably can't help me on this issue. [smirk]

> Cheers,

Back at ya.

Mike

rf

magmike wrote

Just in case you happen to visit alt.html:

The crosspost to that frontpage group has precluded me from giving you the
answer you require. The group is not on my server and in any case I would
never post (even cross) to a frontpage group.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Dave Patton

"magmike" <mike.kline@***nospam***netterweb.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> Not sure what problem you are having here. I followed your
>> instructions,

> and
>> links (eg, "Editor Email", "Info Link") are indeed active links.
>> Maybe you would care to elaborate further?

> If you were viewing "editor email" links, you were looking in the
> wrong database (and did not follow my directions very well). My
> article listings are in question here. The field in which users paste
> in their cleverly crafted (and some not-so-clevely-crafted) article
> text, is simply titled, [article]. When the database results generate
> on the web page, web site links and email links within the text are
> not active. I would like to rectify that.

Then fix your server code.

>> May be better if we discuss http://www.netterweb.com/articles/ as
>> some newsreaders won't render an address as a link without the
>> protocol being

> Picky, picky. If you aren't smart enough to figure the link out, you
> probably can't help me on this issue. [smirk]

Stop being an ass if you want people to help you.
Given that you can't figure out that your problem is
an ASP problem, and that you should be asking for
help in an ASP-related newsgroup, it's hardly wise
for you to be complainging about a reply that
correctly pointed out a problem with how you
included a URL.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP]

I copy the text into a new page in FrontPage, which applies the HTML tags,
and then from FrontPage into the memo field in the database.

Check out this page for an example of the results page:
http://www.cthealthpolicy.org/ctheal...rrentissue.asp

Riddle me this Sharp Tool Java 29 11-10-2005 12:20 PM
A riddle with generics, cannot get it to work. HK Java 0 07-13-2005 02:50 PM
Riddle me this javascript please. Big Bill HTML 33 10-07-2004 11:04 PM

Advertisments