Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Links / URLs in a usenet message

Links / URLs in a usenet message

Daan

Not directly related to html, but I was curious about the following.
When you want to include the URL of a page in a usenet message, some
people add less-then and greater-then signs to the URL (like this:
<http://www.example.com>), others don't (like this:
http://www.example.com). What is the meaning of this, if any, or what is
accepted etiquette for the use of them?

--
Daan

Kris

In article <cerja2$irf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Daan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not directly related to html, but I was curious about the following.
> When you want to include the URL of a page in a usenet message, some
> people add less-then and greater-then signs to the URL (like this:
> <http://www.example.com>), others don't (like this:
> http://www.example.com). What is the meaning of this, if any, or what is
> accepted etiquette for the use of them?

AFAIK, those characters cannot be part of a URL, so they are the perfect
delimiters for a URL in a line of text. Can you spot where the following
URL is supposed to end?

foo bar foo bar http://foo.bar/foo, bar.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Neal

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:09:17 +0200, Daan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not directly related to html, but I was curious about the following.
> When you want to include the URL of a page in a usenet message, some
> people add less-then and greater-then signs to the URL (like this:
> <http://www.example.com>), others don't (like this:
> http://www.example.com). What is the meaning of this, if any, or what is
> accepted etiquette for the use of them?

My newsreader allows either - but the < and > really don't add anything. I
would simply add the URL without the brackets.

BTW, a better way to link is http://www.example.com/ - the terminal / will
be added anyhow, so including it saves a bit of time and bandwidth.

Lois

"Neal" wrote:
but the < and > really don't add anything.

One time after I'd sent out an email with a URL in it to a mailing list, one
person wrote back to say that she hadn't been able to get the link to open
when she clicked on it because it had a period at the end. I'd put it at the
end of a sentence, like this link: www.example.com/page.html. She suggested
that I put < and > around future links in emails to avoid that problem.

I'm guessing that the period wouldn't affect most users (?), but it did
affect at least one.

Lois

Dave Patton

Daan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cerja2$irf$(E-Mail Removed):

> Not directly related to html, but I was curious about the following.
> When you want to include the URL of a page in a usenet message, some
> people add less-then and greater-then signs to the URL (like this:
><http://www.example.com>), others don't (like this:
> http://www.example.com). What is the meaning of this, if any, or what is
> accepted etiquette for the use of them?

http://www.w3.org/Addressing/rfc1738.txt
RFC 1738 Uniform Resource Locators (URL) December 1994
APPENDIX: Recommendations for URLs in Context
URIs, including URLs, are intended to be transmitted through
protocols which provide a context for their interpretation.

In some cases, it will be necessary to distinguish URLs from other
possible data structures in a syntactic structure. In this case, is
recommended that URLs be preceeded with a prefix consisting of the
characters "URL:". For example, this prefix may be used to
distinguish URLs from other kinds of URIs.

In addition, there are many occasions when URLs are included in other
kinds of text; examples include electronic mail, USENET news
messages, or printed on paper. In such cases, it is convenient to
have a separate syntactic wrapper that delimits the URL and separates
it from the rest of the text, and in particular from punctuation
marks that might be mistaken for part of the URL. For this purpose,
is recommended that angle brackets ("<" and ">"), along with the
prefix "URL:", be used to delimit the boundaries of the URL. This
wrapper does not form part of the URL and should not be used in
contexts in which delimiters are already specified.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Neal

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:41:09 -0700, Lois <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Neal" wrote:
> but the < and > really don't add anything.
>
> One time after I'd sent out an email with a URL in it to a mailing list,
> one
> person wrote back to say that she hadn't been able to get the link to
> open
> when she clicked on it because it had a period at the end. I'd put it at
> the
> end of a sentence, like this link: www.example.com/page.html. She
> suggested
> that I put < and > around future links in emails to avoid that problem.
>
> I'm guessing that the period wouldn't affect most users (?), but it did
> affect at least one.

It can. But I have the habit of putting a space around the URLs anyhow. So
even if I end a phrase with http://www.example.com/ , I'll add a space to
keep the punctuation out of it. Same with a sentence ending with
http://www.example.com/ . Seems to work universally AFAIK.

Joel Shepherd

In article <xpeQc.244$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Lois" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Neal" wrote:
> but the < and > really don't add anything.
>
> One time after I'd sent out an email with a URL in it to a mailing list, one
> person wrote back to say that she hadn't been able to get the link to open
> when she clicked on it because it had a period at the end.

Alright, newsreader check.

If your newsreader highlights the following as a link does it take you
to a custom 404 page: http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/yard/yn4.htm.

If your newsreader highlights the following as a link does it take you
to a custom 404 page: <http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/yard/yn4.htm>.

Interested but slightly bored minds want to know.

--
Joel.

http://www.cv6.org/
"May she also say with just pride:
I have done the State some service."

Neal

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:53:12 GMT, Joel Shepherd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Alright, newsreader check.
>
> If your newsreader highlights the following as a link does it take you
> to a custom 404 page: http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/yard/yn4.htm.

Butternut.

> If your newsreader highlights the following as a link does it take you
> to a custom 404 page: <http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/yard/yn4.htm>.

Butternut.

Dave Patton

Joel Shepherd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Alright, newsreader check.
>
> If your newsreader highlights the following as a link does it take you
> to a custom 404 page: http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/yard/yn4.htm.
>
> If your newsreader highlights the following as a link does it take you
> to a custom 404 page: <http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/yard/yn4.htm>.
>
> Interested but slightly bored minds want to know.

My newsreader, Xnews, doesn't highlight either of them,
but both are handled properly(as the URL, not the 404 page)
if I click on them.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

Toby Inkster

Daan wrote:

> Not directly related to html, but I was curious about the following.
> When you want to include the URL of a page in a usenet message, some
> people add less-then and greater-then signs to the URL

There is certainly an advantage of using '<URL:' and '>' to delimit a URL:
many smart readers can use these hints to know where the URL begins and
ends, even over line breaks. For example, in Opera you have <URL:http://www.
google.com/> (with the line break!) and still be able to click on it and
get to Google!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS