Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > conditional break

conditional break

Armin

is there an html tag to tell the browser where to break a word into the next
line in case it doesn't fit into the line? Something like a conditional
break?

Thanks

Steve Pugh

"Armin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>is there an html tag to tell the browser where to break a word into the next
>line in case it doesn't fit into the line? Something like a conditional
>break?

According to some people this is what the soft hyphen ­ is for.
But matters are muddied by conflicting specs and confused browser
support. Have a read of http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html and
dispair.

An alternative is the non-standard <wbr> element.
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/ht...ages/w/wbr.htm

Steve

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Steve Pugh ((E-Mail Removed)) feverishly typed...

> "Armin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> is there an html tag to tell the browser where to break a word into
>> the next line in case it doesn't fit into the line? Something like a
>> conditional break?

> According to some people this is what the soft hyphen ­ is for. [...]

Is there a &bashful; as well?

Cheers,
Nige

--