Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Keeping li's in a horizontal list together

Keeping li's in a horizontal list together

Nik Coughin

I have three logos in a ul, which is styled as a horizontal list.

http://www.crew.org.nz/index.php
http://www.crew.org.nz/crew.css

The ul has the id "sponsor" and is at the bottom of the page.

When the page size gets too small, the li's start wrapping to the next line
because they hit the news div. I would prefer them to stay together and end
up under the news div.

How would I achieve this?

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.nrkn.com/

Spartanicus

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

>I have three logos in a ul, which is styled as a horizontal list.
>
>http://www.crew.org.nz/index.php
>http://www.crew.org.nz/crew.css
>
>The ul has the id "sponsor" and is at the bottom of the page.
>
>When the page size gets too small, the li's start wrapping to the next line
>because they hit the news div. I would prefer them to stay together and end
>up under the news div.
>
>How would I achieve this?

<ul id="sponsor" style="white-space:nowrap"> (doesn't work in IE)
li{display:table-cell} (doesn't work in IE)

Btw, you may want to get rid of the horizontal scrollbar in Opera.

--
Spartanicus

Jeff Thies

Spartanicus wrote:

> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>I have three logos in a ul, which is styled as a horizontal list.
>>
>>http://www.crew.org.nz/index.php
>>http://www.crew.org.nz/crew.css
>>
>>The ul has the id "sponsor" and is at the bottom of the page.
>>
>>When the page size gets too small, the li's start wrapping to the next line
>>because they hit the news div. I would prefer them to stay together and end
>>up under the news div.
>>
>>How would I achieve this?

> <ul id="sponsor" style="white-space:nowrap"> (doesn't work in IE)

That's pretty cool!

In the meantime the OP can consider the never officially sanctioned but
widely supported <nobr>Can't break this</nobr>

or replace spaces with &nbsp; Can't&nbsp;break&nbsp;this
That can still break on some characters in some browsers.

Yucca Korpella has much to say about that on his site.

Jeff

> li{display:table-cell} (doesn't work in IE)
>
> Btw, you may want to get rid of the horizontal scrollbar in Opera.

Re: Splitting a line while keeping quoted items together Tim Chase Python 0 11-20-2012 01:20 AM
Splitting a line while keeping quoted items together josh@merchantconcepts.com Python 1 11-20-2012 01:09 AM
Horizontal List Issue Doug HTML 5 11-03-2006 07:38 AM
Keeping words together Fons Rave HTML 16 05-10-2006 10:01 AM
line image up with Horizontal List-o-matic Danny Anderson HTML 4 02-12-2004 10:04 PM

Advertisments