Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Embed vs Object

Embed vs Object

Arondelle

I've already perused all the FAQ's, references and tutorials on the
subject, but I haven't found a suitable solution to my "problem," so I'm
back with questions.

I am trying to place an MPEG video on my website. The sole purpose of
this page is to display the video, BTW; I probably won't even take the
time to do any fancy formatting.

"Embed" works fine, but I understand that it's being depreciated in
favor of "object." However, I also understand that neither IE or NS
implement the object element yet, or do so in some funky way.

[Note: HTML-Kit's Tag Wizard doesn't even include "embed" in its list of
tags.]

What to do? I've attempted to snip and clip code from various tutorials
purporting to show how one puts a video on a page with "object", but so
far no go. This page will, at best, be ephmeral since the MPEG is
enormous and takes too long to download (and takes up way too much
server space) to be a regular feature, so I don't want to waste too much
time on this. But, I DO want to know how to use "object" if IE and NS
ever get around to actually supporting it.

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Toby Inkster

Arondelle wrote:

> "Embed" works fine, but I understand that it's being depreciated in
> favor of "object." However, I also understand that neither IE or NS
> implement the object element yet, or do so in some funky way.

<Object> works just fine in Netscape 6+, IE 5+ (with some support in IE 4)
Safari, Konq 3 (perhaps Konq 2) and Opera 5+ (Perhaps Opera 3/4? Not
tested it yet). You only really need to bother with <embed> if you're
worried about Netscape 2/3/4.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./ryan_adams/love_is_hell_pt2/02_please_do_not_let_me_go.ogg

Arondelle

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Arondelle wrote:
>
>>"Embed" works fine, but I understand that it's being depreciated in
>>favor of "object." However, I also understand that neither IE or NS
>>implement the object element yet, or do so in some funky way.

> <Object> works just fine in Netscape 6+, IE 5+ (with some support in IE 4)
> Safari, Konq 3 (perhaps Konq 2) and Opera 5+ (Perhaps Opera 3/4? Not
> tested it yet). You only really need to bother with <embed> if you're
> worried about Netscape 2/3/4.

Okay. So, how about some pseudo-code for me to test out? So far all my
attempts have ended up with an empty box.

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Spartanicus

Arondelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to place an MPEG video on my website. The sole purpose of
>this page is to display the video, BTW; I probably won't even take the
>time to do any fancy formatting.
>
>"Embed" works fine, but I understand that it's being depreciated in
>favor of "object."

The process of embedding (not matter what element you use) for audio
and/or video is fundamentally flawed:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

>However, I also understand that neither IE or NS
>implement the object element yet, or do so in some funky way.

Incorrect.

>What to do?

Link, don't embed, offer users a link to download and another to stream:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

--
Spartanicus

Arondelle

Spartanicus wrote:
> Arondelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I am trying to place an MPEG video on my website. The sole purpose of
>>this page is to display the video, BTW; I probably won't even take the
>>time to do any fancy formatting.
>>What to do?

> Link, don't embed, offer users a link to download and another to stream:
> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

Looks more like what I want to do. However, I don't see an expample of
how to create a redirect file for a plain (not layer 3) MPEG video. what
should I change there?

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Webcastmaker

In article <3JaMc.255$(E-Mail Removed)>, aron.delle3
@verizon.pond says...
> "Embed" works fine, but I understand that it's being depreciated in
> favor of "object." However, I also understand that neither IE or NS
> implement the object element yet, or do so in some funky way.

I believe it is more like IE and NN7+ actually do it right. Embed
was used for browsers that support plugins.
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Arondelle

Webcastmaker wrote:
> In article <3JaMc.255$(E-Mail Removed)>, aron.delle3
> @verizon.pond says...
>
>>"Embed" works fine, but I understand that it's being depreciated in
>>favor of "object." However, I also understand that neither IE or NS
>>implement the object element yet, or do so in some funky way.

> I believe it is more like IE and NN7+ actually do it right. Embed
> was used for browsers that support plugins.

Regardless, I've decided to just convert the animation into a GIF which
is way smaller and can just be placed like an ordinary image without
resorting to any mental gymnastics. I can also control the number of
times it will loop before stopping and have more control over the frame
rate.

B-)

Arondelle wrote:

> Okay. So, how about some pseudo-code for me to test out? So far all my
> attempts have ended up with an empty box.

<object data="image.jpeg" type="image/jpeg" height="90" width="120">
</object>

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Spartanicus

Arondelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't see an expample of
>how to create a redirect file for a plain (not layer 3) MPEG video.

What type of MPEG video, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, the MS proprietary variant
of mpeg4 aka Windows Media?

--
Spartanicus

Arondelle

Spartanicus wrote:
> Arondelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I don't see an expample of
>>how to create a redirect file for a plain (not layer 3) MPEG video.

> What type of MPEG video, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, the MS proprietary variant
> of mpeg4 aka Windows Media?

Color me clueless.

I built the animation in Corel's Photo-Paint and exported it to an MPG
file. I was given two choices: MPEG and MPEG(3) [Just like that: I have
no idea what that means]. I almost died when I saw how big the file
was, and when I re-opened it, I found that the conversion had inflated
the number of frames five-fold, from 50 to 250, and and increase the
frame-rate three-fold. Ouch.

The animated GIF is about a third the size, maybe smaller...