Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Gradual image fade in (revised)

Gradual image fade in (revised)

newtohtml@att.net

My apology for a typo in the following post. I meant 50kb images, not
50mb. Can this be done without using Flash. Thanks.

I want to design a page which can do the following:

1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
will display the full size image (~50kb) on the same page next to the
thumbnails. I have seen pages like this, but the whole page is reloaded
to display the full image. Is there a way to do this without reloading
the whole page, i.e. keep the thumbnails unchanged, and just update the
full image?

2. When displaying the above full image, can the full image gradually
fade in and without seeing progressive or checker boxes?

3. A slide show that will fade out an image and fade in a new one, much
like on a real slide projector.

Doing this in either html or with some other tool would be fine.
Examples of existing sites that do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Webcastmaker

> My apology for a typo in the following post. I meant 50kb images, not
> 50mb. Can this be done without using Flash. Thanks.
> Doing this in either html or with some other tool would be fine.

Some other tool, other than flash you mean.

You can use javascript to change the alpha on the image. Then when
the image alpha is at 0, change the src of the image, then change the
alpha back to 100. Here is an example:

http://www.javascript-page.com/imagefade2.html

But it will not work everywhere.
--