Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Gradual image fade in

Gradual image fade in

Hywel

In article <wByKc.10327$(E-Mail Removed)>, menu boy says...

> "Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
> > > I want to design a page which can do the following:
> > >
> > > 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> > > will display the full size image (~50mb)

> > Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> > browser?
> >

> Astronomy nerds...like myself.

Sending them for display in the browser is still the wrong way to
deliver the image.

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

Webcastmaker

In article <waIKc.3572$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
> There's no indication that the OP deals with astronomy images.

You obviously missed the evolution of the thread.
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

menu boy

"Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <wByKc.10327$(E-Mail Removed)>, menu boy says...
> >
> > "Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...

one

> > > Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> > > browser?
> > >

> > Astronomy nerds...like myself.

> Sending them for display in the browser is still the wrong way to
> deliver the image.

Why? It doesn't bother me.

Webcastmaker

In article <yrPKc.21460$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Astronomy nerds...like myself.

> > Sending them for display in the browser is still the wrong way to
> > deliver the image.

> Why? It doesn't bother me.

Well I tend to agree with Toby on this one. While you can do it (and
for some it may be the only way they want to do it) Downloading the
image and looking at it in a different application would probably be
better.
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Jeff Thies

Webcastmaker wrote:
> In article <waIKc.3572$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>There's no indication that the OP deals with astronomy images.

> You obviously missed the evolution of the thread.

And my point was that everyone has missinterpreted the OPs point. The
50MB was obviously a typo, as you now know.

Are we just chatting away?

Jeff

Toby Inkster

Hywel wrote:

> Sending them for display in the browser is still the wrong way to
> deliver the image.

Just link to them like:

and let the browser determine what to do with them (save file to disk,
display, open it in a different application, open it using a plugin).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Webcastmaker

In article <OXQKc.3943$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >>There's no indication that the OP deals with astronomy images.

> > You obviously missed the evolution of the thread.

> And my point was that everyone has missinterpreted the OPs point. The
> 50MB was obviously a typo, as you now know.

And if you read my response to Hywel I stated that I believed the OP
had a typeo:
-------------
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I want to design a page which can do the following:
> > 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> > will display the full size image (~50mb)

> Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> browser?

Have you ever seen a 50 meg image? Probably not. I am guessing he
means either 5 meg or 50k.
--------------

> Are we just chatting away?

Yes
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Reid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to design a page which can do the following:
>
> 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> will display the full size image (~50mb) on the same page next to the
> thumbnails. I have seen pages like this, but the whole page is reloaded
> to display the full image. Is there a way to do this without reloading
> the whole page, i.e. keep the thumbnails unchanged, and just update the
> full image?

Is it that big a deal? Reloading a page is so small when compared to
downloading such an image...

> 2. When displaying the above full image, can the full image gradually
> fade in and without seeing progressive or checker boxes?

You could have a fade-in _after_ the image loads, but that would be
silly. They'd wait for minutes and minutes, and then they'd have to wait
for a fade-in. What if they're like me and get all excited as the image
is halfway downloaded?

When you have such large files, you should link to them as downloads, not
inline images. Or else you'll have users who forget to save the files on
their computer, which is a good thing to try to make them do.

> 3. A slide show that will fade out an image and fade in a new one, much
> like on a real slide projector.

With 50-megabyte files this is unrealistic. Unless you mean 50
millibytes