Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Gradual image fade in

Gradual image fade in

newtohtml@att.net

I want to design a page which can do the following:

1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
will display the full size image (~50mb) on the same page next to the
thumbnails. I have seen pages like this, but the whole page is reloaded
to display the full image. Is there a way to do this without reloading
the whole page, i.e. keep the thumbnails unchanged, and just update the
full image?

2. When displaying the above full image, can the full image gradually
fade in and without seeing progressive or checker boxes?

3. A slide show that will fade out an image and fade in a new one, much
like on a real slide projector.

Doing this in either html or with some other tool would be fine.
Examples of existing sites that do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Webcastmaker

> I want to design a page which can do the following...

<snip>
> Doing this in either html or with some other tool would be fine.
> Examples of existing sites that do this would be appreciated. Thanks.\

After reading all the posts about how you don't "really" want to do
what you want, or how it won't work, your discriminating etc...
(Some of which are true but irrelevant to your question.)

Go to www.swishit.com. Download their demo. Take a day to run
through the tutorial. You will be rewarded with a Flash development
environment that will let you do everything you wanted and more.

Swish is a Flash development environment that will let you
graphically create some pretty sophisticated flash objects. The last
time I checked it cost about $50.00

--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
> I want to design a page which can do the following:
>
> 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> will display the full size image (~50mb)

Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
browser?

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

Webcastmaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I want to design a page which can do the following:
> > 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> > will display the full size image (~50mb)

> Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> browser?

Have you ever seen a 50 meg image? Probably not. I am guessing he
means either 5 meg or 50k.
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

menu boy

"Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
> > I want to design a page which can do the following:
> >
> > 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> > will display the full size image (~50mb)

> Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> browser?

Astronomy nerds...like myself.

Karl Groves

"menu boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wByKc.10327$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
> > > I want to design a page which can do the following:
> > >
> > > 1. There will be several image thumbnails on the page. Clicking on one
> > > will display the full size image (~50mb)

> > Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> > browser?
> >

> Astronomy nerds...like myself.

Do you have ANY idea how long it would take to download a 50mb image?

-Karl

menu boy

"Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cdedpr$a37$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "menu boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wByKc.10327$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...

one

> > > Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> > > browser?
> > >

> > Astronomy nerds...like myself.
> >

> Do you have ANY idea how long it would take to download a 50mb image?

On *my* PC? About 10 mins. I've downloaded images that big.
They were all star charts, deep field sky images and the like.

Neal

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:59:18 -0400, Karl Groves <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "menu boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wByKc.10327$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...

>> one
>> >
>> > Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
>> > browser?
>> >

>> Astronomy nerds...like myself.
>>

> Do you have ANY idea how long it would take to download a 50mb image?
>
> -Karl

I'd "guesstimate" about 5 hours on dialup, 5 minutes on cable. Way too big
for web use.

Webcastmaker

In article <cdedpr$a37$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Are you nuts? Why would anyone want to view a 50MB image in their
> > > browser?

> > Astronomy nerds...like myself.

> Do you have ANY idea how long it would take to download a 50mb image?

How long is completely irrelevant. If they know the size, they can
make their own decision of they want to wait or not.

--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Webcastmaker

says...
> > Do you have ANY idea how long it would take to download a 50mb image?

> I'd "guesstimate" about 5 hours on dialup, 5 minutes on cable. Way too big
> for web use.

Completely irrelevant. The people that want the charts (an now that
I know what they are 50 meg is not too bad) Will wait EVEN with
dialup.

This is one of those websites that is not meant for everyone, but the
people that visit (Amat astronomers) will love it. So as we can see,
50 meg is NOT too big for the Web. It is too big for YOU.

--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com