Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: CSS2 Way Too Complicated

Re: CSS2 Way Too Complicated

Mark Parnell

Kris wrote:
> Is something that is difficult but totally right still better than
> something that is simple but almost totally right?

Depends. If the "almost" bit is fundamental to the topic, yes. If it is
only a minor inconsistency, then in most cases no.

> Your statement is an excuse for elitism.

That wasn't its intention. As others have said, the specs are exactly
that - specifications, not a tutorial. It is a pity that there aren't
any _really_ good tutorials out there, which is why people get pointed
to the specs so often.
--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Kris

In article <cd9ov9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Kris wrote:
> > Is something that is difficult but totally right still better than
> > something that is simple but almost totally right?

> Depends. If the "almost" bit is fundamental to the topic, yes. If it is
> only a minor inconsistency, then in most cases no.

Others have already pointed out that making a topic better to understand
by twisting the truth a little bit can be a good way to teach people
something. Surely one cannot be opposed to good teaching ways?

> > Your statement is an excuse for elitism.

> That wasn't its intention.

Not meant to offend. I was not saying you are elitist or you are using
that as an excuse for elitism. It is however used as an excuse: the
typical way of wrapping up a package so it cannot be used by members of
a lesser mind.

> As others have said, the specs are exactly
> that - specifications, not a tutorial.

Indeed.

> It is a pity that there aren't
> any _really_ good tutorials out there, which is why people get pointed
> to the specs so often.

Even good tutorials will have to refer to the specs, be it for authority
or 'the next step up te ladder'.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)